Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB to BG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnmhorn, Oct 9, 2005.

1. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
    Hi,
    I have been playing the Double Bass for about two and a half years and I am looking to experiment with an Electric Bass. I was looking at Squier P-Bass for about $109 as well as a Epiphone Bass. I am wondering what model/brand to get in general. I really prefer dealing with the local music stores but buying from Guitar Center is fine. I am in Berkeley, CA and the story I prefer is The Starving Musician. Also, if you have been there recently, there is a nice Palatino there that I am interested in buying can anyone give me any advice? Price range: $80-140, 150

Thanks.

Jacob Horn

2. I'd get an SX.

RondoMusic.net has a ton of them.

There is a whole megathread dedicated to them. Excellent starter basses.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd get an SX, and I would stay away form the Palatino.

4. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The SX is pretty close to a house brand for Rondo. They're made in Korea for Rondo...If you check out the Essex bass megathread, you'll see that they've become the de-facto standard for cheap electric basses...They're in the range of the squires with better fit & finish. It seems like a ton of guys who have higher range gear also have a couple of SX basses kickin' 'round too.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    spend your time practicing db....bg will seem like a simple game after you become proficient on the db...

7. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
    I've fiddle around with a BG and it is very easy and trivial once you know DB.

8. :rolleyes: