Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 163 comp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zemaitis, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Is anyone out there using one of these half rack DBX 163 compressors? A friend of mine has one and I wanted to know anyones impressions of it for bass , even though Id be using it for more. It seems pretty bare bones but hoping it'll do the trick.

just heard a Charlie Hunter track called "Mitch better have my Bunny" why didnt I think of that?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have had mine for about just over a year, and I love the thing... It has that great vintage phatness with just the right amount of transparency, it is also great for the lack of compresion "pumping"... I payed 50 clams for mine, and it is funny because a $50 piece of gear made my rig sound as good as it cost...

Alex

3. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    :confused: :confused: Well I got home tonight and hooked up the 163X comp to my 4 track and headphones so I could try to get a good sound out of it but Im lost!? I plugged into the hi-Z input and tried adjusting the trim so that I got the LEDs to light up but nothing!! Then I adjusted the level and tried going into the main input and still nothing? Is comp all the way down when slider is to the left? I tried it all but no LED display at all, perhaps that section of it is broken or am I missing something?
    Any help is appreciated!

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Humm... Mabey the stereo chain switch is on, on the back???... Check that, and if it is thats why...

Alex

5. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Well the button is set to master so the light on the front is not on. Thats how it should be if Im only running one correct?
    Im guessing the trim on the back is set about right (pretty low) because my bass is active but even turning it up isnt activating the LED meters. When I am changing the trim, level and the slider you can hear a change in tone, slide to the right and its much louder!! So perhaps just the LED is blown?
    thanks for your help

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ****ty deal dude... Well at least it is compressing...

Alex

7. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Well I suppose I'll go home and hit it with a hammer always does the trick.
    So if the proper technique to compress with the slider and adjust your volume with the level control on front?
    All I get when I slide to the right is more volume?!
    Not the type of compression Im used to, that is if it is even functioning properly
    Thanks for your help TecX