Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

de-glitching a .wav file

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 18, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I have a .wav track that has a glitch in it that needs to be removed. I've done a little investigating, and I'm pretty sure it's a single errant sample in the .wav file. What's the best way to de-glitch this track? I thought of three possibilites so far. One is, bring the volume down and back up again "real fast", hopefully that'll work without creating an additional audible "pop" in the note. Second is, copy a smidgeon of the surrounding note over the glitch. Third is, use a .wav file line item editor to manually correct the glitch. What's the best way, or how would you do this?

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    both are good ideas.

Waves makes a plugin that might be able to fix it, can't remember the name, but I have it.

You can do the reduced volume if it works. or if in the song there is repitiion you can edit another similiar section in for just that area.

"Sniping" in the surounding material migh twork, but make sure you put in a good crossfade to make it not so aparent.

best thing is to just mess around with it. If you have pro tools you can use the draw tool and re-draw the wave form.

john b

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I agree with the "Pencil" tool in Pro Tools, or almost any other software out there. If its just one sample gone awry it should be easy. I assume its just a single "snat" or something like that. Just zoom way in on the offending wave, should be easy to spot, and round off the sharp wave form. I bet that will do the trick. If its just one track in a multitrack session you should be fine. If its the stereo mix you may have to try a few times to get it to sound good.