1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead in the water - Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tobias3469, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Last night after work I sat down to play with some song ideas. Fired up the good ol' Macbook Pro and my Focusrite USB interface lights up all red lights. No audio, Not recognized by PC, ***? I tried different USB cables, 3 different computers and all with the same result. It's dead. After less than 10 months of just sitting on my desk with normal use. Most people have great luck with these interfaces so I'm hoping mine is just an anomaly failure and will be replaced under warranty. I've reached out to Focusrite tech support and I am eagerly awaiting their reply.

Are any other TB'ers using Scarlett interfaces? Any input would be appreciated.

If they don't repair\replace it I'm considering moving back to protools\avid interfaces.

Below is a photo from the good old days, back when she worked great :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Here's a couple of things you can try:
    1) Google "Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface dead" and see what comes up. There may be other folks that have had the same problem and have a solution listed.
    2) If the Scarlett interface came with a CD that has drivers on it, re-load them on your computer. They may have gotten corrupted.
    3) Go to the Focusrite website and look for "Support" and/or "Downloads" and see if there is a new driver/or firmware that you can download.
    Download it and follow the instructions for installing it on your interface. This type of problem happens all the time.

Hope this helps!

3. 1) that was the first thing I did - no luck

2) it's a Class A compliant device - no drivers are available or required for OSX

3)that was the second thing I did - no luck

Thanks for the input though....

SeamzKing likes this.
  4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I have a 2i4 as well, but have no other troubleshooting ideas, just gonna offer moral support.

5. wlater

wlater

Mar 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    I have the same model as you but have not had any problems. You did all the right troubleshooting steps by ruling out a bad USB cable or a bad USB port on the computer (by trying 3 different computers). The only common item in your setups was the Scarlett. The only other thing I can think of to try is to (gently) wiggle the USB cable in the Scarlett a bit (up/down and side to side) while it is still connected to the computer to see if there might be an intermittent USB socket PCB connection. Other than that, probably best to wait for Focusrite to get back to you. Good luck.

6. Focusrite approved a warranty repair\replacement. :)

So the Scarlett is on it's way to Audio Rehab in Burbank for repair under Focusrite's 12 month warranty. Had this happened 2 months from now I would be S.O.L!

If they can't repair it they said they send a brand new one.

After this I'm honestly concerned about the reliability and future life span of this interface. If it only works for a few more months and then dies again I will be really dissapointed.

My original Mbox lasted 10 years. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to...

7. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    At least they are honoring their warranty. My guess is that it will last much longer this time.
    There may have been a defective part in the run that you purchased. Most manufacturers will
    not make this public knowledge if it is an intermittent problem to save money.

8. Update:

They were unable to repair the unit. It's 110% dead. I'm expecting a replacement from Focusrite. Hopefully it lasts more than a year.

Kubicki440 likes this.