1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DEAD Tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Can one do DEAD tuning and if so what guage of strings/nut would suffice?

Can I tune my 5 string 50-128 string set like that on my ATK305?

Preferably can it be done DEADG.

2. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535

Sep 16, 2010
    South Florida
    Never heard or tried this tuning, but I just can't imagine what it would be like to have my two bottom strings only one step away from identical. I bet it can creat some cool options if you play allot of chords.

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    That thought is what made me think of it.

Only instead of a full chord I ccould just use one note at a time til the chord is made up.
    I'm a punk bassist who is self taught so as far as music theory goes it's total Mandirin to me. But, I know there's a name for what I just said.

Anyways I'll ask in greater depth this time.

I have a ATK305 5 string bass
    Can I use 50 - 129 strings to tune it this way?

B -> D
    E -> E
    A -> A
    D -> D

The G string I don't use that much so that usually stays tuned to G and is only used when a string breaks which really hasn't happened to me in a live setting yet. *Knocks on wood*

Really I need some help here. I think this will work but, fear of tearing my trussrod to smitherins. I know ATK's are sturdy and can take a licking but, is this gonna hurt me bad in the long run? ATK305's aren't really as avaliable as they uset to be and I don't have the money to get a new bass.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's not going to hurt your truss rod, but why would you use that tuning on a 5er when you hit a low D no problem and still have 3 lower note as well in regular tuning?

I did do something similar on my 5ers though, so I guess I can see it. I needed to pedal away on a low D for one of our songs, but I still needed a low B for another section. I installed a Hipshot D tuner on the low B string, only I used it to go from a low D in the normal position down to a low B when you flick the lever. It worked/works perfect.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

The truss rod will be fine, but that tuning will be pretty useless, as a person who sounds like they could stand to learn a little more theory, I would keep the bass tuned to 4ths and learn the notes on the fretboard like normal, it is much easier that way.

Once you tune the D-E you have a minor 7th, which just changes something that is already nice and simple.

If you really want to do it go nuts, but if you were my student I would be strongly opposed.

What are you doing that your breaking strings? I have played extensively for a decade and have never once broken a bass string, mind you I don't do crazy pop and slap, but even then I couldn't see myself busting a string.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Tuning up the .129 will be excessively tight and will require a truss rod adjustment, if it doesn't snap first. I'd instead look for a .110 or .115, maybe .120 at the most.

What strings and gauges do you use? I can help you come up with a better set for your tuning.

7. get two E strings, tune EEADG, and put a hipshot extender on it.

8. VicKevlar

VicKevlar

Apr 15, 2012
    You should be alright bringing the B up to D.

More information that you wanted? I got ya covered. This isn't so hard if you read this table. (page 10 for bass strings)

D'addario's tension numbers for .130 strings:
    XLB130 (Nickel wound .130 long scale bass string)
    [Note]-[Tension in pounds]
    A-109.3 (bass open A note)
    G-86.8
    F-69.0
    E-61.3 (bass open E)
    D-48.7 (your target)
    C-38.6
    B-34.5 (5 string open B)
    A-27.3

So you'll be bringing the B string from 35 pounds up to 49 pounds, actually a little less if you've got .128 string. Consider a .085 A string does about 48 pounds. 49 is on the upper side of normal, but it should work. Consider all 5 of your strings combined apply at least 200 pounds of force, another 15 isn't going to destroy it. You might need a minor truss rod adjustment. No comment on how it's going to sound.

9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't bust a string and I gave up slappin' and poppin' a long time ago. I truthfully have not even tried this tuning. I admit I should know more theory and I really want to however I don't have the dough for a teacher or the patience to read thos Hal books. I do know a little but, am not very good at it.

I think maybe I'll get a Guitar World How To Play Heavy Metal Bass DVD to get that theory a bit better.

However on the tuning side I love a heavy string tuned to D however I also see the need to have a E string. I grow tired of my bands Dropped D tuning we play punk so it's the standard 3 chord thing we are all except me actually musically inclinded. It's not like I don't want to learn music theory I just get bored easy.

Dean Markley Blue Steel Medium guage .50-.70-.85-.105-.128

That's what I thought until I imagined two strings with the same amount of tension will probably cause the neck to warp towards the two strings. Also why have a detuner on a string that when not triggered will sound just like the string next to it? It is a good idea til you act on it imo. So that's why I'm looking for another option otherwise I'd have done it already but, there has to be a better option.

I don't like the idea of tuning my B string UP to anything. I am scared to death I know guitars can do that easy and 35" scale basses can but, I shudder trying it on a 5 string 34" scale at all.

I like the idea of maybe putting a Droptuner on my B string (.128) and trigger it to go from the standard B to a D. Then maybe another on the E string so it can go from the E to a D as well. Anyone else think that this is a good idea?

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Try DGCF ... you'll like it.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    DEAD must be the best tuning for death metal... :smug:

*Grabs coat*

12. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Oh I do. I like it but, the band doesn't. :D

It probably would I'll confirm if it is.

Anyways how does the two Droptuners on the B and E strings both tuned to drop D idea sound?

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm thinking there isn't going to be a whole lot of theory going on in that video.

That's why the bass has a trussrod, it's designed to counteract the tension of the strings.

:confused: Why? What does the scale length have to do with anything?

Why have two, where both detuners essentially end up doing the same thing?

14. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I would start with DEAD at the beginning of each session, be it practice or a show, then tune down to BEAD and call it UN-DEAD tuning.

15. VicKevlar

VicKevlar

Apr 15, 2012
    Maybe I misunderstood, do you want to tune your B[SUB]0[/SUB] string up two notes to D[SUB]1[/SUB] or down 5 notes to D[SUB]0[/SUB]?

16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Down to D.

Here's my idea in detail

B ---> D (tuned down)
    E ---> D (tuned down)

Both will have a Detuner on them

The reason? So I can still have my usual BDADG tuning and at the flip of two levers a DEADG tuning.

Also ever seen Michael Manring's Hyperbass?
    http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/hyperbass.html
    (Notice the four Hipshots?)

I don't know if I want to tune up a bass at all. My mind shudders thinking about it because I all the picolo
    basses I hear about are with thin strings my prefrence is medium to heavy strings and the higher you go up the more pressure it puts on the neck or am I wrong? :confused:

ANYWAYS
    My question is now can a .128 string handle the low D tuning?

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you'd want your B tuned to D, an octave below drop D? I'm guessing you don't have an amp that can produce that note with any clarity. You'd need a huge string for it, something in the range of .175+ Anything less won't play without flapping around.

Any string that will reproduce a low D accurately will be too heavy to tune UP to B if you put on a detuner, and any B will just flop like a wet noodle dropped that far to D.

Just tune ADADG or something.

18. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    D0 would be less than 20 cycles.

19. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Hhmmm Looks like I'm gonna need to buy a beater then.
    I don't have the time or money or desire to replace my ATK's nut or have my tech fine tune the truss. :crying:

Also
    What? :confused:

20. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Why wouldn't you just do BEAD? :confused: :confused: :confused: