Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

death from above 1979

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Seraphim, Dec 5, 2004.

1. This is one of the most interesting bands i've ever heard. just drums and bass, but you'll never miss the guitar. Personally, i think dfa79 put other minimalistic bands(white stripes) to shame. and altho the drum and bass band thing has been done before (lightning bolt) this is suprisingly different. i urge all of you to check these guys out sooner than later because eventually, they are going to creep into your playlist anyway.
    if anyone has any opinions on these guys, post. i recommend sexy results, black history month, and blood on our hands.

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    They played here a while ago, opening for Billy Tallent. I didn't get to the show, but I heard mixed reviews from people that did. There were some that HATED DFA1779, but some loved them. It was split about 50-50. I've been meaning to check them out but haven't got around to it.

The bassist apparently plays a smokin Rickenbaker.

peace
    johnny

3. yea, their shows are mind blowing, they will play anywhere, as many times in a day as they can. i heard that they played a show at a bard, then drive to some kids ouse who won a contest and played in his living room, then drove to another show played that and then some guy invited them to play on his balcony but they couldnt get their gear up there.

i remember that tour where they opened for billy talent, metric opened too if im not mistaken.

4. Their website is minimalist, but you can watch a clip and they have a streaming audio mix to crank...

www.deathfromabove1979.com

Yeah, I like them. Then again, I love constant on-the-verge-of-feedback fuzzbass...so.....

v:O)

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    A+, A+!.. Hey, how sthe new album comming Ron?..

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I like them, they've got some great tunes. They're one of those bands though, that you wonder how much they have in them. Their album felt like such a final statement, It will be interesting to see where they go with their second release.

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well technicaly "You are a woman..." is their second relese... They relesed an E.P. 2 years ago, and a single/e.p. a year ago...

Alex

ps. they are great guys...

8. sean_seanson

sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
    Lightning Bolt seriously blows them away.

9. It's done. We're just finalizing artwork, and it'll be pressed very soon, thankfully. Then it's the whole campaign / promo thing. Whee!

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thats an unfair comparison, due to the fact they are very different bands... Aples and Oranges as it where, and a very little known fact - niether Jessie or Sebastion had ever heard Lightnig Bolt or the Ruins UNTIL they kept getting compared to them. Jess actualy listens to mostly hiphop... Funny eh?..

And why does no one ever mention The Ruins??? They invented the concept of bass and drum power duos!!! If you have not heard them, CHECK THEM OUT!!!

Alex

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Better than I thought, though probably a bit more "muddy" than I like.

Sounds like a cross between the Mars Volta and....errrr.....some other stuff.

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Really? I kind of thought of it as a mix between the Misfits and the Cure.

It is unfair to compare them to Lightning Bolt, it would be like comparing Silverchair to Cream: both are trios, both consist of bass, drum and guitar, but they have radically different sounds.

I'll have to check out the Ruins, thanks for the recommendation.

Another bass/drum duo worth checking out (who have toured with Lightning Bolt) is Japanther. I like to describe them as 'basement punk'; they're really lo-fi and fun to dance too. Chekacheckem!

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Um interesting "making of video". Hand job?? :bag:

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I do what I can... :smug:

cheers

Alex

ps. I will check them out man, I have heard the name - but not the band...