Debating on 4 or 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eekum, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    So, I have a GK MB500 and I love the amp. 4 ohms, 500 watts. Just a killer amp.

I’m looking to pick up a 212 cabinet to go with it (one that can handle 500-600 watts). I can’t decide if I want to get one in 8 ohms or 4 ohms though. I am 95% sure I will never get or need another cab so I’m leaning towards the 4 ohms version.

Can anyone offer up some suggestions between the two versions? Pros and cons? Is there any danger to over powering the cab? Etc.

Thanks!

Omiloh and ctmullins like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Which cabs are you looking at?

Eekum likes this.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I would think that a 212 at 4 ohms should cover mostly anything. Where do you play and what do you need as far as coverage?

klokker and Eekum like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Look at it as 2 x 8 ohm 112's and see if that might help you make your decision

mdjuszyn, Al Kraft, ThisBass and 7 others like this.
  5. Unless you are in a crazy loud band and may need 4 12's, a 4 ohm 2x12 should handle anything if it is a quality cab.

6. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I am looking at the GK MBE-II 212 cab in 4 ohms. If I can find one, I don’t think they make them anymore because everywhere is out of stock. My budget is around $500, I could probably go to $600 but that’s it.

zon6c-f and DrThumpenstein like this.
  7. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Small to medium clubs and bars. Most with FOH support. I play rock, two guitarist and a drummer.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Eekum likes this.
  9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Get 8.

I have 2 212 cabs in 4 ohms and the only way I can drive them is 2 of the same amp (Bugera Veyron) or my rack power amp rig.

I did the whole 4 should be louder than 8 thing. Don’t really regret it because I like having a backup amp jic, but it is more gear to bring.

Omiloh, arbiterusa and Eekum like this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Go for an 8Ω cabinet. The difference in volume between the 8 and 4Ω versions will be hardy detectable.

Omiloh, ihixulu, edencab and 12 others like this.
  11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Eekum likes this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    In this case, because the (real) power handling is higher than the amp, there won't be any (significant) impact due to "power compression", and since the two drivers are 8 ohms, there's no potential penalty in sensitivity either.

In THIS case, there will be no difference between a single 4 ohm 212 or 2 of the 8 ohm 112's.

Guzzi Toad, pcake, pjbassist and 5 others like this.
  13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Now there you go...getting all "TECHIE" on us... hehe

Eekum and agedhorse like this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Eekum :)

With FOH support a 212 8ohm cab "should" do the trick. On the other hand, when you play rock -

More is always better!!! :smug: (a tiny little bit more headroom hurts nobody :D)

A good 212 4ohm cab (or two 112 8 ohm cabs) can get the best out of your amp.

That' s his hobby! :laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

RyanOh and Eekum like this.
  15. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    (Cautiously offering advice that differs from that of agedhorse) It seems like an 8 ohm 212 will cover the needs that you’ve given and you still have the option to go bigger if you wish. If you know for a fact that you don’t want to use two cabs then the 4 ohm cab will probably be better, but I would want the option to go bigger.

edencab and Eekum like this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Going bigger will benefit from a bigger amp as well as additional cabinets. The bigger amps are more often (not always) capable of driving a 2 ohm load.

Al Kraft, Wisebass, Eekum and 2 others like this.
  17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    This fEARful 12/6 will fit the bill perfectly and leave more to give, if needed. No I'm not affiliated with the seller.. I've owned one, and now use a Fearless F112. Amazing cabs!! Could negotiate $600, but trust me, the extra $50 is well worth it
    Screenshot_20190816-124222_Chrome.jpg

Eekum likes this.
  18. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Okay thanks for the input everyone!

I should have asked this in my original post but...

I am currently using the Carvin BRX 10.2 bass cab. It’s 4 ohms and sounds pretty great with my MB500. Would a 212 sound better or just move more air or both? I don’t want to overload my current 210 even though it’s handling is 600 watts

19. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I've got that cab and it is very efficient and plenty loud. (Also light, <40 lb.) I got mine used 3 years ago for ~$350-400. I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting from my one-trip rig these days!

Realistically, if you need to move more air than one of these, you should probably be going through the PA. But if your amp will do 2 ohms, you should be able to run 2 of them. Not that I think you would really need to.

Eekum likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021