1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by driess20, Oct 2, 2008.

1. driess20

driess20

Aug 10, 2008
    Dear fellow bass players,

I have been playing bass for some years now but always on a 5 string (Yamaha BB605), as i used to play death metal, grind and the occasional jazz jam bands it felt very appropriate. But over the past summer i started playing with a pop group and started to record and play live shows. I'm interested in picking up a nice 4 string in the $600-750 range and was looking at some Fenders. I want your professional opinion on the matter as i know some of the members here have had much more experience than i do.

After playing some my tastes lingered towards the 51' P bass. I love that tele neck! My only gripe with Fenders is that they don't typically have 24 frets and i am a big fan of a full upper octave. I did see a 24 fret jazz somewhere on the interweb but i really enjoy playing basses before i'm sold on them.

Suggestions?

p.s. if you want to hear my old death metal band look up Xanthos, http://www.myspace.com/xanthosmetal . If you'd like to hear my new pop band check out Cotton Candy Collective, www.myspace.com/cottoncandycollective .

2. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    *Sigh*, why do people always immediately jump to Fenders? :rolleyes: For that kind of money you can also get (in the 24 fret range):

-A nice Soundgear,
    -a pretty Cort,
    -MAYBE a Music Man Bongo second hand,
    -perhaps some kind of MTD (new or second hand)?,
    -or, if you are up for a laugh, some kind of Dean or BC Rich :D (would be usable for your metal band too)

Choices abound.

3. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

Why do people always immediately put down Fenders. :rolleyes:

Maybe the OP likes the look and sound of Fenders. Maybe he doesn't like Ibanez or Cort.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Hey, *I* was going to say that! :D

5. My active fender jazz is great. very versatile. i got it used for $400, i think they're about $650 new. only 20 frets though. there are usually a couple hanging around at guitar center, and they're definitely worth trying out.
    just curious, but why do you feel you need a 4 string? if you like the sound and feel of your 5'er why change? can't that low B be just as useful in pop as in metal? or do you just want a different sound and don't see the need in getting another 5'er?

6. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I am not putting down Fender in any way with what I said, on the contruary, I have a P-bass styled bass myself and I plan on having a Jazz somewhere down the road. I acknowledge that Fender set a standard in the bass world, but I am only arguing that people often tend to immediatly think of Fenders when purchasing a new bass. I can't blame driess20 if he wants to buy one though.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The Geddy Lee is a great bass for that price - the neck isn't for everyone though. I've got one and it plays real fast - sounds great w/ flatwounds.

$600-700 is a great range for a used CIJ/MIJ Fender Jazz or P. I also just got a used 62 Reissue P for under $600 shipped. It's an amazing guitar. Much thumper, but incredibly lighter than my Geddy.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you like your Yamaha (I also play a BB605) why not get a Yamaha "P" bass - like a BB414.

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I like the 50's Classic P-bass myself. A great bass for the money. I've played three, all at different stores, and they were all fantastic. I really love a good P/J as well and I think the Aerodyne P is really nice. IMO, 24 frets is overrated. I do wish some Fenders had 21 frets instead of 20, but even then the occasions to go up that high on the neck are pretty rare.

Bottom line though: If you really like the '51 P, I can't think of a good reason for you not to go for it.

10. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Check out the Schecter Model-T. Amazing quality, good components, fabulous value - top notch for a fraction of many basses. Robert DeLeo (STP) plays it.

11. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    You can get a G&L Tribute for around that money, if I'm not mistaken. I've heard naught but good about them, and the L-2000/2500 is known for its versatility.

12. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Second hand Warwick Corvette $$?

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They don't! Fenders are usually hyped beyond anything else.

If the sound of the '51 P is your thing but you don't like some other aspect of it, you can get pretty close with a Jazz bass, just roll off the bridge pickup and cut the tone a bit. It won't be exactly the same but if you have a nice Jazz it will be close enough.

You could also easily find a used Sting signature model bass in your price range, and that's a '51 P that's made in Japan, which means it's pretty nice. I'd replace the bridge, though. "vintage" is not always a positive remark.

14. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Fenders are sexy-er than all those basses. (that is IMHO, but i think that is a popular O)

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
  16. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Good bang for the buck!

George