1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decipher this neck stamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InnerBass, Nov 30, 2018.

1. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    This is from a 1969 Fender Precision Bass with a 236xxx neck plate.
    It’s one of those weird lacquered ones from the ‘69-‘74 era.
    “B” neck, but wondering about the other numbers.
    Any Fender experts out there that speak this specific language?

Thanks!
    IB

BTW - I’m in the market for a period correct pickup ;)

C03D9F7D-6408-4E98-A6A5-E08A64D911E4.

2. What do you mean by "weird lacquered ones?" I had a CAR P bass that someone had put an early fretless P neck on (rosewood), never knew the year but it wore like it had a nitro finish, in 1977 the guy told me he had bought it about "ten years ago" and had switched necks right after he had bought it but Fender didn't make fretless necks until either late in 69 or early in 70. I always assumed it was a 68 but was never sure. By lacquer do you mean nitro?

3. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    I guess - it’s got the shiny lacquer and the green stamp with a numbering system, as opposed to the actual date stamp.

4. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    I had a 69 J bass that just had the actual date stamped on it in black.
    This has a green numbering system?

5. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    Found this - cool!!

In 1969, CBS-Fender began to implement a new type of neck stamp in place of the usual date stamp consisting of model code, month, year, neck width (e.g. 8 DEC 65 B for a Duo-Sonic II with a 1 5/8 inch neck width). The new code consisted of 6, 7 or 8 digits and was usually stamped in green ink. An example of this type of neck code found on a Precision Bass is 529129B.

CBS-Fender used this neck code system concurrently with the standard Month-Year date stamp that had been in use since 1962. Both type of stamps can be found on Fenders made from 1969 through 1971. To clarify, a neck would have one or the other type of stamp… not both. It is not known why Fender used two completely different systems at the same time.

Then in 1972, Fender changed to a new type of neck stamp which had 8-digits which was stamped in green or red ink. An example of this is 02033923 found on a Jazz Bass. From 1972 through about March 1973, this new system was used concurrently with the old Month-Year date stamp. Again, a neck was stamped with either the new type of code or the old date stamp, but not both.

After March 1973, Fender dropped the old style date stamp and continued to use the new style, 8-digit code until sometime in 1980 when small adhesive labels bearing Month-Day-Year date stamps appeared in the neck pocket, pickup cavity and/or back of the neck.

Let’s practice that again okay? Here’s our P-Bass again (s/n 277983) with the code 529129B. Breaking up the code we get:

5 = code for Precision Bass

291 = batch or lot code?

2 = February

9 = 1969

B = 1 5/8 inch neck width (correct for a ’69 P-Bass).

One more time, since you love this stuff… Strat (s/n 279515) with code 22384109B. Break it into pieces:

22 = code for Stratocaster

384 = batch or lot code?

10 = October

9 = 1969

B = 1 5/8 inch neck width

6. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone