Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 4, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok I have a bit of an issue here. I own a MM Stingray which is awsome and a Geddy Lee jazz which is great too. I've been playin my Geddy and I fell in love with the Jazz style neck. Now when I go play my Stingray I feel like the neck is huge, plays great, but huge. Seeing as though I love the Stingray sound but now really want a jazzier neck, should I trade in my Stingray and get a Sterling? or should I stop being a wussy with a capital P and just get back into playing the Ray?

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Keep the 'Ray. Your taste in necks may eventually change, so if you like that particular 'Ray, keep it. You might find yourself kicking yourself later! :smug:

Of course, if you're really not attached to it, go for the Sterling. The electronics are different, though it's a fine bass.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Sterling and its great. Very comfortable neck.

4. I am not a MM user but I have been using thin necks for a long time (graphite BTW).
    It is hard to go back to thick ones after all that time... it is actually impossible (ok ok nothing's impossible). You start to enjoy the playability and the speed you can get out of a thin neck... it is up to you but if in 6 month you haven't picked your MM... you'll know what you'll have to do...

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah, I'll give it a couple of months and see where I am, that is, if the GAS doesnt kill me by then lol

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Keep them both,......after all, how are you going to have a bass collection if you sell your basses, keep what you have and buy more. :D

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW i think sterlings are a much more versitile bass. the 3 way series/parallel/single coil switch (which incedentally is the same as on the stingray 5) is fantastic. Much more tones than a ray. Oh yeah, and the neck is cooler IMO.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd say go with the Sterling!