Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dee Murray

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 27, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    What what his setup with Elton back in the 70's? I love his tone, especially on Philadelphia Freedom.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A.T., I'm pretty sure in the 70's he used Fender P & J basses. I'm not sure of his choice of amps, but he was probably recorded direct. I'll do some research on this and post back on what I find.

There was a concert video of E.J. in Australia in the mid 80's where Dee was playing a Steinberger, and completely ripping it up. His playing on that video was incredible.

By the time I finally saw E.J. live, it was the 'Rock of the Westies' tour '75 or '76. Unfortunately, Dee didn't play on the album or tour :bawl: .

Dee was the first bass player I emulated as a kid, even before I bought my first bass. I still listen to his work w/E.J. quite often. It's great to see someone else has noticed Dee's playing.

He passed away in the mid 90's of cancer, he was only 47.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Dee was a great bassplayer, that early Elton stuff was a huge influence on me. He played with Spencer Davis before
    Elton and did a ton of session work for various people. I still smile when I hear "Love lies Bleeding", superb bass playing.
    He died too young....

Cheers,
    Slug

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know what Dee Murray played on all of the old Elton John records, but I know he played a G&L in Nashville after he left Elton John. His old G&L is on display at Corner Music in Nashville. It was the old single pickup model, the L-1000, I think.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    About all I could find gear-wise on Dee was a picture of him with a P-Bass. I'll keep searching to find out what he used for gear while he played with E.J.. A couple of the Dee-tribute sites recommend listening to Elton's '11-17-70' live album. This is my all-time favorite, too. It was recorded live in front of a small audience and featured just Elton, Dee, and Nigel. The trio smoked that studio! You can really hear Dee & Nigel's killer backing harmonies, and Dee plays his butt off. It's a must-listen IMO.

I did find that while he was being treated for malignent skin cancer he died of a stroke in 1992. What a loss.

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I've seen old some clips of Dee with the EJB, he was playing
    a white dot-neck Fender Jazz, and what may have been
    big Fender Bassman or maybe Ampeg stacks.

Slug

7. I am almost 100 % right that Dee played a fender Jazz

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've always liked his playing. 11-17-70 is a killer trio rock album. I'm pretty sure he played Fenders back then. He left us way too young. Here's to you Dee!!!

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    It is awesome, isn't it! When I listen to Dee's live tone, I imagine the same set up Mojo-Man posted, a Fender Jazz with flats, and maybe a big Sunn stack. I love the version of 'Burn Down the Mission', plus the medley they play. Great dynamics, it kills!

A funny thing about this thread, I'd pulled out 'Capt Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy' and 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' before I came across this thread. Am I psychic? Naw, I'm getting used to my new 6-string Roscoe, so I thought I'd play along with something I hadn't listened to for a long time. I'm going to try to find '11-17-70' on CD. This thread has given me the jones to hear it again, I don't have a turntable anymore!

Thanks everyone, I'm really enjoying this thread.

Have a great week, -Art.

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    It's great to see so much love for Dee.... he was definitely a fave of mine! Great tone, feel, groove and melody.... :hyper:

Anyone who still follows Elton John will know that his current bassist Bob Birch is not too shabby with the chops either! :bassist:

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I was a huge Elton John fan when I was a kid, and FFAF/LLB was my all time favorite song(s). But I played drums then and never really paid attention to the bass line. I heard the song again not long after picking up the bass, and I was blown away. Great bass line. Dee Murray rocked.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :D
    I hope you weren't one of those that cued off the guitarist.

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Well I just found this forum, and a thread about my fave bassist Dee Murray. He made me want to take up bass playing. Since today is 11/17, I'm gonna blast 11/17/70 tonight.

15. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
  16. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm totally pleased to see this thread!!!
    Dee was someone who contributed immense musicality and melodic feel in his playing while never showboating. Remember the very early " Your Song " tour footage when frequently it was just EJ and Dee...
    I seem to remember shots of Dee with an Alembic, am I right?

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out what Will Lee says about Dee in the last Bassplayer mag.

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If someone told me that I was going to be spending a year
    by myself on a desert island, and I had a choice of having 50 wanker-bassplayer C/D's or 3 Elton John albums with Dee, I'd take the EJB records in a heartbeat. To me, Dee was the epitome of what I aspire to as a bassist. Tasty, and supporrtive; agressive and muscular when called for, but
    still sublime...This guy had a voice... He is gone,
    but certainly NOT forgotten. Thanks, Dee...

Cheers,
    Slug

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii