1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delano Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bajoloco, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Has anybody had any experience with these pickups?
    They are company out of germany, I am thinking of upgrading my 5 string bass with these pickups. Just wanted to get a few opinions from everyone who has used them.

http://www.delano.de/english/index-eng.html

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    In my opinion the best on the market. I'm listed on the artist page but get no compansation or discounts... I just reached out to the owner after receiving my Bee bass with a custom shop MM style installed. After a few email exchanges I was asked if I minded the link back to my site since I link to theirs.

I intend to replace the pickups in 2 other basses with Delano pickups... and will specify them in any new bass I have built :bassist:

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi James, what qualities do the Delanos have that put them in such high regard? I'm wanting to replace the Barts in my 55-94 with either Delanos or Nordstrands.

Thanks, Alan

4. Another one for James - but this question may help Bajoloco too.

James, with the basses that you have the Delano's on, do you have a single pickup or the HH set up - or both, and how does this affect the sound?

Cheers

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I have a MC7-FE hooked to a "Bee Pre" in my Worker Bee 7 string.

I've got basses with Bart jazz, Dimarzio Ultra jazz, Dimarzio PJ & Suhr Dual Coil at the house. I've had briefly in the recent past basses with Aero and Nordstrand dual coils....

The Delano has a wider range, more natural over all tone, better punch and dynamics... it's clarity and ability to pick up the slightest nuance of my playing are unreal.

6. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    I totally agree with James on the Delano pickups, fitted a few sets now in some of my custom basses. The SBC6 HE/S4 was fitted in a 6 string fretless and it sounded amazing, so much detail and natural sounding. Go ahead and get some for ya bass, you'll love them!

Cheers,

Robbie.

7. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Got a pair of 'em in my Bee bass as well. Good clarity and articulation. Also have the Bee pre which is also very clear. That's exactly what I wanted out of it. Fred (Bee Basses) uses them in quite a few of his basses and I've always enjoyed the sound of the Delanos.

-Eric

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Where do we buy these PUs here in the states?

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've been looking to replace the pickups in one of my SR4's. I'm having a VERY hard time to decide what to get. I'm wondering about the differences between the regular MM replacement and the hybrid MM with the Jazz bass coils on it.

Other top contenders include:

Nordstrand
    Bartolini

Don't get me started with on board pre amps, I want to replace that too...

10. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    you can order directly from delano (i did), or, as james pointed out to me, from bee basses.

11. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    +1, I have their pickup on my Clover bass. Natural sounding with enough output and growly too....:hyper:

IMG_1059.

Go here to buy ;)

TUNYMUSIC likes this.
  12. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have an older Bee with the Basslines pup and electronics. After hearing the Delano's in a buddy's newer Bee I see the difference. A much more natural and "open" sound. I would highly recommend them!!!!

13. Lets just say that I got special SBC4 soapbars made for my bass to replace my Lane Poors. I am not sure if any pickup can be more open sounding than an LP, but I needed more of a punchy definition on the low end which the LP did not produce enough of. Now the low end of my bass cuts through much better in the mix. The Delano's are also fuller sounding than the Lane Poors. Delanos, while not as open and sweet sounding as the LP's, are much more open sounding than a lot of other pick ups out there.

14. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey Folks
    Just to give you all another option... I ordered my Delano P through Fearless Guitars (fearlessguitars.com). Chance (the guy who owns Fearless) is a great guy to work with and seems to know what he's about.
    BTW, I am matching Delano's PMVC5 FE/M2 with a G&L L2500 H. Since it's all starting from scratch and new parts, it'll be a while before this franken-bass is finished, but we'll see what happens then, eh?

Brett

15. Modulrob

Modulrob

Jan 8, 2003
    Hey, I saw this post and wanted to second a shout-out for Chance at Fearless. Currently, my only bass is a partially refinished Modulus Q4 that he agreed to sell me cheap since I agreed to complete the refinish after purchase. I was of course at first a bit hesitant to purchase since I had blindly stumbled upon his website while searching for a very low cost, non-minty modulus. He went above and beyond the norm to answer my questions regarding the best practices to complete the finish, how to add heel wedges to adjust the string action, etc. I hope to do business with him again in the future. Glad to hear he's carrying these pickups!
    - Rob

16. There is a big problem with Delano pickups. It masks the personality of the instrument. If you put delano pickups in a 200Euro instrument, they will make it sound like a 1500Euro one. But if you put them in a 3000Euro instrument, they will also make it sound like a 1500Euro one.
    I own 2 handmade istruments (paid 3000 Euros for each) with Delano pickups. The instruments have superior construction, but the sound is just the same with EVERY instrument with Delanos I ve played.
    So I think Delanos are a serious upgrade to instruments of low value. But it is not good for high end basses.

17. shirtforbrains

shirtforbrains

Sep 5, 2005
    I like the nordstrand for a mm style pick up. The barts are very clean with no growl.

18. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Interesting assessment. Which models of Delano pickups were in your handmade instruments as well as the others that you tried? Was there a specific tonal quality which you believe lowers the perceived value of a high-end handmade instrument?

For what it's worth, I've tried Delano pickups in several of my own basses, which have similar construction but different body and neck woods. I have found them to be similar, but not sounding "just the same".

19. Same, I'd had various basses with Delano pickups and they don't seem to impart their own sound as much as EMG and Bartolini can. I'd actually consider them on the more natural side of things myself.

20. 4848277

Mar 4, 2011
    Name: Tom
    +1

I have Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups in my Warwick Corvette Standard, and also SBC 4-HE/S pickups in my ESP Ltd D4. Excellent quality pickups and awesome sound.

Believe the hype. It's not even hype really. :)

Cheers!