Delano VS Aguilar VS Haeussel

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Norman83, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Norman83

Norman83

Jan 5, 2019
    Hi guys,
    I'm ordering a Maruszczyk, it is a custom one and I can add either Delano, Aguilar or Haeussel pickups.
    I have no reference about them on a bass just video reviews etc.
    Would you mind sharing your opinion?
    Which ones should I put on the bass?
    Thanks

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. I can only speak of the ones I use, the Delano JMVC 5FE. They work wonderfully wired passive on a Jazz 5. A lot of punch, character yet great clarity for the B string. The bridge pickup is a little thin on its own but nice when blended. I feel those pickups would be great to cut through in heavy rock/metal. I mostly play reggae and it also sound fantastic slightly favoring the neck pickup. If you want more of a Fender traditional sound, most likely the Aguilars

Dimbass777 likes this.
  3. I have a MIM Pbass with Delano pickups (Large Poles), although I liked them when I first installed them, now I feel that they are way too HOT, especially for a pbass. I use LaBella flats and I'm not happy with the sound.

Dimbass777 likes this.
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I love the Delano large pole P, but I use it with SS rounds. I can see why a flat string might be too big in the mids to sit with that particular Delano.

5. Got a Maruszczyk PJ - originally with Haussels - wasn't really happy about the punch, now it has Delanos with big ferrite magnets. Very punchy and clean - but not vintage if you like this type of sound and in PJ configuration J pup is reeeally week. I'd stick to Aguilars or Fender Custom Shop or - easier for you - Maruszczyk own pickups, they sound niiiice from what I hear here and there around the Internet, but that's me :)

blindrabbit, Norman83 and Dimbass777 like this.
  6. I use flats on my PBass and I recently decided to try some LaBella flats on my Delano equipped Jazz 5 and indeed it sounded awful. I quickly put the rounds back on the bass.

Isotonic and Norman83 like this.
  7. I have Delano soapbars in my Maruszczyk Frog and they are wonderful. Love those pickups. I briefly had the Delano PMVC FE/M2 in my P bass but actually didn't like it that much and replaced it after only a few weeks. It's a nice pickup but I like a more raggedy rough edge in my P.

blindrabbit and Norman83 like this.
  8. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I guess I'll chime in as the Aguilar lover here. I have a few basses with Aguilar J and P pickups that sound great. The one I play the most is a Roscoe LG 5 string with Aguilar J hum canceling with an active OBP 3 band EQ. To me the Aguilars sound pretty balanced, smooth and tilted towards classic (sorry I think Vintage is over used) J bass tones, tight bottom, slightly compressed mids and edgy top with both pickups on and everything flat. This bass can turn into super contemporary J bass (Jazz on steroids aka Sadowsky etc) with a simple boost of lows and highs and even more insane with cutting at 800 htz. So I like them because they are quiet, smooth but when the active pre amp is pushed it can turn into a slap machine.

Norman83 likes this.
  9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The Haeussels I’ve played have a balanced, articulate voice. What shape of pickups are you looking for?

blindrabbit and Norman83 like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021