Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Compulator Or Aphex Punch Factory?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    As usual, I won't be able to try these two out before buying, and after searching, I only found one user who had tried both of these pedals, so I was hoping some other TBers have had the chance to try them both. Any big differences in tone between the two? The Aphex has some additional outs, a wet/dry switch, and a dB readout to show how much you're compressing, but the one A/B I've seen of the two by maxvalentino preferred the Compulator.

Anyone?

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sorry, haven't tried the Aphex but I love my Compulator and don't feel the need to try anything else - it doesn't alter your tone at all. Just think about how many years Demeter has been making high quality studio compressors - you're in good hands.

3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I was about to post this choice..... add a poll more people will click and vote rather than posting.

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just got an aphex punch factory, and my other choice was the demeter...funny. I wanted an optical compressor thats virtually transparent, and would not alter my tone. I went with the Aphex, cause I could pick it up from a local shop...that way I could return it if I didn't like it. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with it. It does exactly what I wanted, and I can barely tell its on. I will do some extreme squashing if needed, but it still sounds natural. Much better than some cheaper compressors I've tried.

I haven't used the Demeter, but I'm sure its excellent as well...I think you'll be happy with either pedal.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's exactly what I don't want. I'm looking for specific opinions and comparisons, not an anonymous poll that gives no pertinent information.

That's why I've been leaning towards the Compulator- Demeter is a high-quality company and I don't think they'd put out anything less then their best.

6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    For what its worth I love my Compulator.... cuts the boom, leaves clarity. I just did my first track with mine and it sounds like a kick drum behind the bass line (not too heavy or over the top, the punch is more pronounced).
    Like ive said before ... I just always leave it on.
    - Tom

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok, being the resident compressor afficianado, I will chime in here:

I have had both the Aphex and the Demeter. I currently use the Demeter Compulator on my live setup. For recording I use a UA LA2A, 610 or Avalon vt737.

First, both the Aphex and Demeter are excellent units. Both are quiet, well built and efficient.

Let me point out that finding a compressor, especially am optical compressor, which does not color the sound is impossible. All of them do...and that is the charm. The idea is to find one which colors your sound in a good and usable way. In this matter both the Demeter and Aphex work nicely.

The Aphex is fairly transparent, and quite fast in its response to transients. The DI is a nice add on, as are the switching capabiliites. But if you, like me, have a good stand alone DI, the DI on the Aphex is a moot point (it is good, but not as good as a Countryman, Radial, or my choice a Demeter Tube Direct).

The Demeter behaves more like vintage compressor...in fact it sounds very much like my LA2A. This coloration is quite subtle, but is a nice "enhancement". This factored big into my decision to go with Demeter.

Also...the Compulator is VERY well built. Way above any other pedal type compressor I have seen (and I have seen and used a lot of them)...add to that Demeter's cust. service rocks (the very small staff there are aces....they actually care about the people who buy/use their stuff....I am not too sure about Aphex...)

I think the Demeter Compulator is one of the finest compressors on the market. It outshines, IMHO, many rack mount units...and yes, James Demeter has been designing top notch studio compressors for years (and they cost plenty, btw) and so (and I can vouch after speaking with him a few times) he knows a thing or two about designing a good compressor. And he certainly did with the Compulator.

So my vote (and $.02) goes to Demeter.

Max

8. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    What a coincidence, I was only today trying to decide whether to go with the Aphex, Black Finger, or Compulator.
    Your post has certainly helped me make up my mind. I already have a Demeter HBP-1 preamp (great preamp) - looks like it's time for a second Demeter product.

Thanks for your informative post Max.

9. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    searching the archives, these are the 2 i am focusing on. anybody have any more head to head comparison in the year since this thread was last active? both have their fan base....

thanks!

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd still go for Compulator. I really like mine alot.

11. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I did end up buying the compulator and have been very happy with it. That blue light is damn bright though.

I don't think you can go wrong with Demeter. Great gear!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bryan went with the Compulator over the Punch Factory.

I got a chance to play both and I too would go with the Compulator.

13. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    My vote is for the Aphex Punch Factory.

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I've had both. They both work well, though in terms of "bomb proof" the Demeter wins hands down. Plus, the Demeter has a smaller footprint.

15. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Best bang for the buck goes to the Punch Facotry(which I have), the demeter is a little more transparent also a great effect but its also double the price

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I respectfully disagree with this whole heartedly. While many compressors do color the sound and as you state that is their charm, there are others that concentrate on completely transparent gain reduction if used and set properly. The dBX unit I use acheives this superbly, as I simply have it set for speaker protection.

Granted, the purpose for using the unit varies greatly and that is mainly what determines this.

The circuit that James Demeter uses for the Compulator was actually designed after the Teletronix LA-2A.

Agreed

Agreed, from personal experience. I've been on the phone on multiple occasions with Jim- very helpful regarding my pre-amp.

That said, I like the Demeter also from the two choices. Very few folks on the planet knows as much as he does nor cares about his product as much either. All of his stuff is top shelf, from the compressors to his DI's to his pre-amps.

However, if you have about $300.00 to spend and my pupose for the compressor was to color the sound then I would go with the Analogman Bi-CompROSSor. You can get everything from punch to greasy fretless sounds with that as it is actually two different compressor circuits in one handy box.

17. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Sorry to derail the thread a little, but can anyone chime in on how the EBS Multi-comp compares?

18. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    "However, if you have about $300.00 to spend and my pupose for the compressor was to color the sound then I would go with the Analogman Bi-CompROSSor. You can get everything from punch to greasy fretless sounds with that as it is actually two different compressor circuits in one handy box."

actually, i want something as transparent as possible. I love my tone, and currently use no other effects. my goal is to simply even out the sound when going from fingerstyle to slapping.

from what i understand, the demeter colors ever so slightly. the aphex is mixed with most saying it is quite transparent. still up in the air....

bill

19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Had all the above-mentioned comps. The Demeter was the best of the bunch IMO. Plenty of squeeze on tap, no nasty noise barnacles. Simple operation.

Liked the Analogman but thought the Demeter was a cut above.

For that uber-transparent, "can't tell it's on" thing, the Maxon CP-101 works nicely and is not pricey.

Was nonplussed by the Aphex IICR, thought it degraded my signal (distorted) when asked to deliver some moderate squeeze.

All-time fave comp pedal for me is the Boss CS-1. Nothing else quite like it. Yes, it colors my sound, but in a way that I really like. Lots of squeeze and sustain available, no noise.

Two cents more in the pot.