Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

demeter di surprise

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mandocaster, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I played a short set with a singer/guitar player tonight. I have a Fishman BP100 that normally has a very harsh tone. I usually use a Sansamp bass driver as a direct box, which helps a little. The sound man suggested that I use his Demeter mono tube direct box, instead. What a difference! The fishman lost its clanky harsh upper mids. It has almost persuaded me to lay out the substantial jack for the box.

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I've been using the Demeter on and off for years.....I'd say that it's expensive, but worth it. The 1/4" output is buffered through the tube also, so using it with a regular 1/4" amp input will give that great headroom as well. Kind of a pricey item to bring to some gigs, though.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Instead of the Demeter, just buy a Revolution Solo pickup from Upton Bass/Clef Music and you don't have to worry about clanky tone anymore. I remember renting out a bass a few years back for a country band that had a Fishman on it and quite frankly, I thought it was lousy, and I didn't even play upright at the time. Check out some of the reviews on the Rev Solo here. It's a fraction of the price of a Demeter preamp.

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    trying a different pickup is a good idea, but I've come to a similar conclusion--I use an avalon U5 DI as my only preamp. All the things that used to bother me about my tone, the things I was always twiddling knobs to eq away, stopped sounding bad with the Avalon. I can still hear that my full circle pickup is a piezo, but the piezo sound isn't offensive the way it was--it doesn't irratate the ear.

I'm concluding that it's better to go for a really good basic sound than it is to go for a lot of features and twiddles designed to compensate.

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Good point, PB+J. That has been my experience too.

6. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The BP100 didn't sound particularly acoustic, but it sounded nice. It retained some of the character of the bass and was just satisfying.

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    right--that's exactly what I mean. When I use the full circle with the avalon, it's not that the full circle becomes the perfect pickup. It has strengths and weaknesses that are still present. But a lot of what seemed objectionable isn't objectionable with the avalon. It just sounds sweeter

Before, I was using a raven labs pmb, and it sounded pretty good, but i was always cutting highs and boosting lows to get " warmth" and reduce the piezo scratchies, and then fiddling with the mids to try to get more body into the tone, some cut without high end, blah blah blah, all through the gig. Now I just plug into the avalon and work the tone with my fingers. It's a relief, really

8. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am also intrigued by the GrooveTubes Brick Mic pre/DI.

It costs less and has more functionality, since it is a good mic pre.

Anybody got one?