Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce B, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    My thoughts are with Florida and Alabama today. Even though most people probably evacuated they may not have much to go home to. I've been through a few hurricanes myself and it's no fun in the aftermath. It really sucks being without electricity for days or even weeks. Looks like my vacation there this year ain't gonna happen. We went last year before Ivan hit but it got the area where we usually stay. The same area Dennis is bearing down on. :mad:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have to tell you, I'm not getting warm fuzzies about having to fly out to Atlanta today...

3. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
  4. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    When I was a little kid, we lived in Myrtle Beach, SC when Hugo hit there. My parents always tell me that I slept through the storm even when it was hitting the concrete hotel we were staying at. Our house was completly totaled :rollno:

5. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Was that in '89. I think I remember that one. I was living in Jacksonville, FL at the time and we thought it might hit us. I slept through Andrew when it came through Louisiana. I went to bed and when I woke up the power was out and trees were down everywhere. I didn't even have anything to drink. Just a very heavy sleeper. :meh:

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My thoughts and prayers are with the people in our SouthEast. I'm tracking the storm even as we speak, and it looks pretty nasty already. FEMA's going to have their hands full with this one. I'm hoping the insurance companies don't try to weasel out of appropriate assistance (there are still lawsuits going on out here, from the California earthquake in '91).

All best wishes and best of luck to our friends in the SouthEast.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My sister is in Mobile, with her two kids. Because of her job she wasn't able to evac, but it looks as if this one is going to stay on a more northerly track and hit somewhat east of her. Man, just what the folks in Pensacola need, another one of these....

:meh:

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yuck. The flight is supposed to leave here around 6, and get in about 9 local. I'm not going to be surprised if it gets cancelled.

9. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    It's going to wreck the same area that Ivan wrecked less than a year ago. I bet the insurance companies are planning their weasel strategies already. A lot of the rebuilding is about to be undone. This one is worse than Ivan.

10. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    I don't think you're going to Atlanta today. I wouldn't want to be on that plane if it does go. :eek:

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've just been watching the 'feeds, Dennis looks devastating. It's certainly taken a huge toll on Cuba and Haiti. The destruction is just amazing. Hopefully all you brothers and sisters in the South East are okay. Hopefully you've taken your basses and rigs and put them in a safe place. :)

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  13. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Yeah, it was 89, because I was 3 at the time. I'm sure my young age/ignorance to what was actually happening had something to do with my ability to sleep through one of the most devestating hurricanes in the US...lol