Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Despiau bridges

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Julie, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Julie

Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Do any luthiers know if there is an acoustical difference on a bridge between a high, medium or low heart?
    Thanks,
    Julie

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The choices are more to allow you to end up with a well balanced bridge on different basses. For instance if you use a high heart bridge on an instrument with low elevation the bridge may wind up with little wood above the heart, a higher elevation with a low heart will result in too much wood. Both situations are somewhat structurally unsound and ungainly in appearance. Whether there is much tonal difference is gonna be hard to prove.

3. Julie

Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks Jeff!

4. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Jeff's comments are right on the button, not to say they need validation at all. :) For reference: attached is a picture of a Despiau on a bass at the shop, this is a low heart.

Gary Upton Birkhamshaw

http://www.uptonbass.com
    http://www.stringrepair.com

Attached Files:

5. Julie

Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks for your reply also Gary.

6. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004
    Denmark
    I´ll say it is a mighty fine made bridge, Gary, looks the part!!

7. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
  8. How would you describe comments regarding other shops ?
    A) Self- serving
    B) Inflammatory
    C) Insulting
    D) All of the above
    E) None of the above

9. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I don't get it, Eric. The post that Gary severely edited might have been construed as a little self-serving[NNick sure saw it that way] but he merely alluded to the fact that it is frustrating that there is a large well known shop in the area that is turning out bad work. Gary also managed to compliment both Arnold and myself in the same thread. I guess it would be my opinion that your poll needs another choice.

10. One good edit deserves another.

11. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    :D

12. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Jeff,

Ahhhhh....you know of this shop, I feel much better. Funny thing is we may be discussing 2 completely different shops! Maybe not.........

I know a lot of things are up to interpretation....but good is good and bad is bad.

I don't want to make too many waves or be too serious about all this. I just get all cranked up about the "I am lucky to have them work on my bass" attitude. That no reason to put up with bad work. Or you hear "the rent is high and they can't take the time they need to do good work"

Those kind of comments just really get me going, sorry if the initial post did not make sense, it has been deleted as to not make folks think I am being "self serving" that was NOT the point in ANY way at all.

Hey and if people get razzed about this post then I can edit yet again :spit:

Gary Upton Birkhamshaw
    http://www.uptonbass.com
    http://www.stringrepair.com

13. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

You might want to consider not editing. Our old friend Bob Branstetter used to liken post editing to revisionist history.

14. I don't know of the "well known shop in the area that is turning out bad work" that you gents are alluding to, so I guess I misconstrued Gary's post. I apologise for that. I think we all agree on a few things- good is good and bad is bad, ego and high rent don't justify shabby work, and slagging the competition is a cheesy way to drum up business.

And judging by their String Repair pages, Upton bass turns out first rate work. I'm always interested in such pictorials.

15. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Jeff,

Very true and a good point. Is there a way I can undo my edit of the post. Or at least capture a copy of it for the record? If you know how please feel free to put it up.

But what about my horrid spelling?

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    With genuine respect, Jeff, we disagree. I've probably nuked half of what I've written here because it was thoughtless, wrong, provocative or simply aimless.

Some -- even some as wise as Mr. Branstetter -- might consider that "revisionist history." I prefer to think if it as "thinking about what you're saying," "listening to what people at TB/DB have to say" and "trying to avoid disputes."

17. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    What's wrong with provocative?

18. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Of course, now that I've quoted you, second thoughts may be a problem. ;) A thread is a conversation, one can't simply go back in time and take back what they said. It let's you off the hook for possibly saying something stupid and it also makes those who responded to you looking potientially stupid. I remember when Little Eddie Fufu pulled out of Dodge there were a lot of threads that became complete out of context nonsense. You shouldn't yell fire in a crowded theater and then claim you didn't when things go awry.

19. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There's the rub... a thread isn't a conversation... it's a thread. A different medium, with some slightly different parameters. Just like a recording isn't the same thing as a live performance. I'm not a big fan of the "edit" feature, but it has it's place.

back on topic:
    Julie- are you still there? ;)

20. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Conversate this, Nnick!#$%^