1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Despiau "low heart" bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jsf729, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Anybody have any experience with this versus their "standard" bridge? I need a bridge for a '65 Kay that I acquired without a bridge. I had a '74 Engelhardt and due to the low overstand there was only 1/2 of meat over the heart which is the reason for my question. However, it was not a Despiau. Not sure if the the heart location for bass bridges is "standard" or not. I suspect that it varies. Thanks in advance.

2. keiranhohara

keiranhohara Commercial User

May 27, 2018
    3 Fallsview Lane, Brewster, NY
    Luthier at O'Hara Fine Instruments
    I am really only aware of the Despiau bridge offerings. There offer five different Cuts of bridge CT1, CT2, CT6, CT7, and CT12. CT7 is the belgian cut and the rest are a variation of a french model. CT1 and CT6 have a very nice arch and a slight angle to their legs, CT1 has the highest heart. CT12 is our most used as it has rather straight legs that are great for installing adjusters. CT2 has the lowest heart and legs that are like the CT12 but squat and bit chunky in the toes.

james condino likes this.
  3. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Thank-you for your reply. Yes, I ordered a CT12 on the advise from a master luthier well known here on TB. It is the one that lends itself better for adding adjusters- as you say