1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Determining neck size?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Rayzorx, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Greetings
    I'm getting a new URB and have the option of getting the neck shaped per my spec's. The question I have is what I shouid look for and what is good for me. I'm 5'7" tall and have a medium hand.

I'm going to go the the local bass shop and try a few necks to see what feels good, but what are good neck dimensions for my size? IE. the distance from the fingerboard to the back of the neck, the width at the nut, and string height and spacing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ray

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Trying to presume your preference in a neck based on your physiology is probably an ill-formed exercise. Whether you are 4'7'' or 7'7'' it is more a matter of personal experience than anything else.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    if you are used to bass guitar, all DB necks will feel too thick at first. You can always get it reshaped later. Much harder to put the wood back on again. The other measurements are pretty standard. I would make sure you have bridge adjusters put in so you can experiment with what string height suits you, and make sure the strings are nice and low at the nut. The rest you can adjust when you know what you want.

4. Right,
    Thanks for the feedback. This is my first URB so I really appreciate all the info I can get.
    I know it's going to be a real change from my EB necks, but that's fine. I also planned on getting the bridge adjusters. I understand that it's important for Summer vs. Winter climate adjustments.

BTW, Love your site with the Build My Bass. You are doing what I aspire to do someday.