Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detuners on EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassteban, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever tried using a hipshot-style detuner on their EUB?

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    What a neat idea! I have a Hipshot on my P-bass, and I suspect there's enough room to fit one on my Azola. I'll measure when I get home.

3. I mean, it seems that w/the higher string tension(if I'm not totally trippin)would keep the detuned string from being floppy, & it would be easier to adapt to(& MUCH cheaper)than a C-extension. Let us know if you try this, mje.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I measured my Azola and the Hipshot Bass Xtender Key on my P-Bass, and it looks like the Hipshot would have to stick out beyond the edges of the pegbox. Still, it's possible, and for $75 I'm thinking about it...

Or I could just move the Hipshot from the P-Bass- where I never use it- to the Azola. Hmm.

5. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys...

Very interesting question.

I recently add'ed a drop-tuner to my 6-string bass, so now I can go all the way to "Drop-A" with "the flick of a switch".

I have a NS 5-string EUB myself and I don't really need any extensions here. It would be interesting for the 4-string guys, that's for sure.

Get it? Ho hoo....