Detuners on EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassteban, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever tried using a hipshot-style detuner on their EUB?
  2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    What a neat idea! I have a Hipshot on my P-bass, and I suspect there's enough room to fit one on my Azola. I'll measure when I get home.
  3. I mean, it seems that w/the higher string tension(if I'm not totally trippin)would keep the detuned string from being floppy, & it would be easier to adapt to(& MUCH cheaper)than a C-extension. Let us know if you try this, mje.
  4. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I measured my Azola and the Hipshot Bass Xtender Key on my P-Bass, and it looks like the Hipshot would have to stick out beyond the edges of the pegbox. Still, it's possible, and for $75 I'm thinking about it...

Or I could just move the Hipshot from the P-Bass- where I never use it- to the Azola. Hmm.
  5. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys...

Very interesting question.

I recently add'ed a drop-tuner to my 6-string bass, so now I can go all the way to "Drop-A" with "the flick of a switch".

I have a NS 5-string EUB myself and I don't really need any extensions here. It would be interesting for the 4-string guys, that's for sure.

Get it? Ho hoo....