1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dexters workshop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DirtyDuke, Jan 22, 2017.

1. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Products Archive - DeXTeR's Workshop

This thread is a warning to stay away from this builder

I ordered a pedal Oct 8th which hasn't arrived, stuff happens. But the devil is in the details. He takes weeks to respond with stuff like, sorry I was out of town.

He claimed he would send tracking. Never did. Ive requested it 10 times.

He claimed I'd have a new pedal Jan 10th. Never happened.

He promised to photograph the new pedal, packaging and tracking by Jan 18. Well that never happened either.

It's one excuse, and weak ones at that, after another. The best part is, the photos and tracking etc are all his idea. Yet, he never follows through.

Seems like a nice guy, extremely knowledgeable but horrible customer service and terrible business practices.

YMMV but I never received my order and you might not either

I would like to edit this post to reflect that I did receive a full refund after filing a paypal claim.

It's a shame stuff like this happens. Seems like a genuine and knowledgeable guy. But weeks without answers isn't acceptable in any business.

Best of luck. No hard feelings

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. DeXTeRgT

DeXTeRgT Commercial User

Jul 6, 2016
    DeXTeR's WorkShop
    I'm really sorry for this situation Bob (i do hope that i'm talking to the right person here - as it was the only situation like this that happened). I do acknowledge my very long time to respond to emails and my fault and again i'm really sorry for the situation that happened here.
    I didn't know about this topic until someone told me about it because i would have respond to it quicker.
    You haven't got ripped off and i didn't stole nobody's money ever. I do had some personal problems that are not relevant to the subject.
    The only thing that is relevant is that you received a full refund of the amount without any questions asked and i do think that it was in the same day as the claim was placed.
    Really sorry again for the fact that took me a long time to respond but was not a rip off by far. Again please accept my sincere apologies about that and again i would like to mention the fact that the whole amount was refunded without any problems of any sort.

Regards,
    Gabriel Tudoran

ImNotDeadYet and DirtyDuke like this.
  3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    That's all well and good but why didn't you just build the pedal and send it like you were supposed to do? I mean, you had a customer purchase something, then didn't follow through and it sounds like didn't even attempt to. That's not right in my opinion sir. Not to burn you at the stake here or anything, but giving a refund after a dispute is opened is not exactly the proper means to an end. The only thing relevant to this thread that you should add is "I messed up and I apologize". The rest makes you look like you have poor business practices and make excuses trying to save face, which isn't a good way to sell things. Something to think about. Again, I'm not one for not giving second chances but we all tire of builders going this route and it happens a LOT.

4. DeXTeRgT

DeXTeRgT Commercial User

Jul 6, 2016
    DeXTeR's WorkShop
    Totally agree with what you said JWR and as i said I've messed it up and and i do apologize in the most sincere way. I was not trying to clean my face in anyway and that thought is far behind me.
    There was a real messed up situation and the pedal was build and sent using a standard shipping service and that was a mistake as in the last 2 months i do have 5 open claims with the Romanian Post Office (being the only way to send a small package i'm forced to used that).
    I do not minimize my fault in any way and i would like to highlight the fact that the main purpose of my replies is to apologize an not to clear my name as this is a really singular slip from my side ... again i've messed it up and i'm really sorry about it. Some around here i do think that have some of my products that they receive it without any problems :(
    And i'm really aware of the fact that a lot of builders manage to do a bad reputation ...and what i hope is that this singular fact will not dent mine forever.
    Again Bob, please do accept my sincere apologize.

Regards,
    Gabriel Tudoran

DirtyDuke, FilterFunk and jwr like this.
  5. DeXTeRgT

DeXTeRgT Commercial User

Jul 6, 2016
    DeXTeR's WorkShop
    That is the reason that i've said that are not relevant. As i said, the only reason i've replied to this topic was to offer my excuses to Bob and to say (an info that i do consider it relevant even if it wasn't at the right time) that the refund was issued in the same day as the claim.
    That was the whole purpose of my reply.
    And yes it is a free market, no doubt about this and there are many builders probably way better then me.
    Regards,
    Gabriel Tudoran

6. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    See that was great. ;)

To put it in perspective for me. I spent 1200 bucks on pedals from overseas and have only received two of them. The damn Russian post office lost all the pedals and conveniently found them the day before they would have to pay out a claim. The builder decided that he'd build me new and upgraded pedals as a sorry for your wait. I have a rapport with the builder and I really like him, so I've given him grace in this situation. Now he has some medical issues going on, and he's been very upfront with me, which I appreciate. I'm still out my pedals currently but because he has been nothing but apologetic and upfront with me (in ways he really didn't even need to be), I've been understanding. I've been waiting 6 months or so as well, but to me, ultimately money isn't more valuable than someone's health. I know he'll make good and I've purchased many things from him in the past and it's been fine. Plus, I've had USPS lose things for me before and do the exact same thing and it cost me a boat load of money.

My point is, as long as you're upfront with your consumers about things, it ought to be ok in my opinion. Especially for a smaller builder. It's when you get into the habbit of doing something that it becomes an issue. I've seen builders start up, take money and just fall off the face of the earth many times before. Luckily for the most part, I've avoided this, but a lot of people I know haven't. So that's where the edginess comes in.

So, you apologized, and he got his money back it sounds like. That's a win, win in my book. He probably will have a bad taste in his mouth now, but I would still look at you for purchases. Things happen, life goes on. I won't write someone off because of one or two bad occurrences. It's bound to happen, especially when dealing with overseas purchases.

FilterFunk likes this.
  7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Not to trust anyone. The only way to do.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Trust no one. We all die alone.

Did I do it right?

Driven Crane, the_Ryan and Marial like this.
  9. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    @DeXTeRgT

Thank you for the apology. . I do appreciate it.

Fact check. I did get my money back. Thank you.

OP. Edited to reflect refund received.

10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Do you still consider him a "con artist"?

11. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    I would not order from him if that's the question. I don't think he intended to 'steal' anything.

Edited post to remove that unfortunate comment.

But repeated missed dates, I could never get a tracking number, which he offered, never followed through with actions he initiated. I think he's probably a pretty good guy, but customer service is everything and he missed the mark.

FilterFunk likes this.
  12. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014