1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI stomp box for Ibanez Mikro bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mikrofills, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Can anyone help me with thoughts on DI box for shaping tone. I was thinking about getting the Behringer DI box since it’s affordable. Not using it for recording just plain live through the amp well it really change the tone and get different tones? Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. The Behringer is a one trick pony for about the same money you can pick up a Zoom B1on or B1Xon that will give you a lot more tools and toys. Tuner, metronome, drum loops plus most effects you will ever desire.

b-b-b-bass and Mikrofills like this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    But those don't have a DI out.....the B3 or B3n would work in this regard. Def worth the money IMO.

As far as the Behringer @Mikrofills there are a ton of great preamps out there these days that have good DIs in them. I notice you said the Behringer was affordable (Im assuming you're talking about the V Tone DI right?). Is that something you're after? The low price? If so, you can get any number of these on the used market for not that much money. Here are a few I think are great, no matter the price:

Darkglass B7K or Vintage Ultra- more on the pricey side. And it def has a cooked in flavor when the drive side is engaged but it can be very transparent with just the clean side engaged. Great DI and really good tone shaping. But again, expensive. But worth it.

Tech 21 Sansamps- the BDDI or the VT are great places to start if you want the Ampeg sound. The BDDI is pretty the Behringer but in a much better built and quality product. But in the end there's nothing really wrong with the Behringer either. It's just not ideal for playing out on all the time since it's made out of plastic. But it's still nice for the price.

There's the higher end stuff like the Two Notes Le Bass. There's the Rusty Box and that has a line out but not a DI. The Aguilar Tone Hammer, Radial Bassbone OD DI, Ampeg SCR-DI, MXR DI+, EHX Battalion, EBS Microbass II, Mesa Subway.... there is def a lot out there.

But if you meant you just wanted a straight ol plain ol DI box, I wouldn't skimp on it. Spend at least 1 to $200. The Countryman 85 is great as is anything made by Radial. The JDI or JDX.

Mikrofills likes this.
  4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    B3N skipped the DI, so just the B3 there...

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well, there you go. I wonder why they did that.....you'd think that was a key feature of those units. Go figure.

6. For a couple of hundred dollars US you could get the Valeton Dapper Bass, all analog effects and you can loop additional effects in. I haven't actually used the DI on this as yet, though if it is a quite as the other outputs then you should have no issues.

71-10hgzUAL._SL1500_. 81W7iWUFbOL._SL1500_. 61hnk6DcosL._SL1500_.

Mikrofills likes this.
  7. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Right on hank you very much. I will check those out.

8. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Gregmon79

9. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Thank @gregmon79. I really appreciate all the advice and will look into those.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Look into the MXR Bass Preamp, and the several varieties of Sansamp.

Mikrofills likes this.
  11. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Ok will do thank you

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The Behringer is a knock off of the Sansamp. I used mine at church, interchangeably with the programmable BDDI Sansamp they had there. There was no difference, except the Behringer won't operate on phantom power. I have had mine for a long time, and it's beat up but it has never let me down. I found a mod on You Tube to remove the two fixed mid cuts (the Sansamp has them too) and once I put the switches in, and could turn off the mid cuts, the sound people at church preferred my Behringer to the church's Sansamp.

I gigged for years with a GK1001RB. I was never happy with the character of the low end. I started using the Behringer and it was perfect. Eventually I switched to a PF500 and didn't need the Behringer anymore. I may start using it as a dirt pedal.

Sansamp's upgraded BDDI was long overdue, adding a midrange and some shaping switches. Kudos.

I gave a bass playing friend who was a sound tech at the Opryland Hotel for decades, a Behringer. He liked it and bought several for the hotel. They already had a couple Sansamps. They used the Behringers and Sansamps interchangeably. My friend said they did the same thing, in the same way and sounded the same.

Mikrofills likes this.
  13. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Wow that is great, thank you so much for that information. You have help me make up my mind.

14. Mikrofills

Mikrofills

Nov 16, 2017
    Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate your time and help. You have helped me make up my mind on the Behringer pedal.