Did Cliff Burton have a blonde Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass Growler, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Did Cliff Burton have a blonde Rickenbacker as well as the obvious red one? That's the question here. In the top picture I first thought it might have been the light. However, in the 2nd picture you can the same bass behind Kirk. Clearly without Eb0 neck pickup, which was added during the recording of Kill 'em all. At which point Cliff and Kirk hadn't shared a stage together. What are your thoughts? Is it an unknown spare? Or simply the red one under strange light conditions? Screenshot_20200109-213058_Pinterest.jpg Screenshot_20200109-213119_Pinterest.jpg

2. They're obviously blonde (Mapleglo). Red (Fireglo) wouldn't look like that under any light I can think of. There's probably a way to fake it with severe overexposure, but those photos aren't overexposed. The first photo was obviously shot with a flash, but that wouldn't make a red bass look blonde.

I don't know, though, how you can be sure the bass in the second photo is the same one as in the first photo. You can't see the grain or any other specific identifying features in the second photo. They're both Mapleglo Rics; they might be the same one, or might not be. I can tell that they both have triangle fretboard inlays.

Mapleglo is where it's at.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Suspended

Apparently, he had more than one. Or perhaps, this bass, subsequently got modded into the one he's was most know for.

4. I'm horribly distracted by Lars' horrible mustache.

Must think only of Rickenbackers...

Jeff Scott and hieronymous like this.
  5. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Exhibit C: Screenshot_20200404-151526_Instagram.jpg

6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005

Yeah, here she is:

bf47d52556947f6b17305690a892d5a5.jpg

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Looks like it was a secondary! That's interesting. I always thought he only had the one.

One minor point: Cliff's red bass was burgundy, not Fireglo, as you can see here:

47aee48b348ee1339e0803e55c24a061.jpg

Apologies for Cliff's blinding white chest and tummy. Contrasts well with the bass though. :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021