1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did you enjoy college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Sep 18, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Keeping in line with the recent trend of college-related discussion, did you enjoy your college experience? Why or why not? Did you regret going to the school you went to, or at all?

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I enjoyed college immensely.

I never had as much time as I did back then to dedicate to activities of my choosing. I had lots of friends closeby who had similar free time to have fun. Many available women in their physical prime in a geographic concentration. Some of the classes I took were interesting. Time outside of class was a blast.

I was on course to graduate in three years, due to CLEP. Instead I went part time my senior year and had a blast. I had a partial scholarship, and the cost of living was cheap in DeKalb, IL. I milked college for all it's worth during a time of my life when I could. I learned hard life lessons when the tuition was cheap. Considering how busy my life is now, I have no regrets with my college experience, because I doubt I'll ever get to live like that again.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I had a lot of fun (and got in lots of trouble) while going, but the actual college part - no.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I aint never been to no college.

5. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah... in and out of class undergrad was amazing. Enough that I'm back for round two and still enjoying most of it. More issues with the faculty and the people in the program these days, but still a great time.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    From what I remember of it. ;)

Seriously, what Jive said. College was pretty much my golden years.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I totally enjoyed college although I didn't do it in the usual fashion of living on campus for 4 years. If I could go back and do things again, I would've gone to college after high school vs. following the Dead around (although that had its own perks).

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I was at best ambivalent about my undergraduate experience when it was happening, and have subsequently gone back & forth between detesting it and reluctantly accepting it for what it was ever since. I loved living on my own for the first time in my life, and I loved all the stuff I learned in, around, or unrelated to school...but my undergrad college experience was definitely not what I would ever call "enjoyable."

12 years after I got my Bachelor's degree I re-entered academia to get a Master's, and I can unequivocally say I completely, thoroughly enjoyed that. What a difference a decade makes.

9. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Over all it was a positive experience. I was out on my own, which I enjoyed. Had some really good friends and good times. Learned quite a bit about myself in addition to the book learning.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I can only answer so far:

Freshman year was fun but none of the classes were really pertinent to my current major and my uhmm... "extracurricular" activities got to be a little out of hand. Not my best year by any means :p.

This year I live off campus and don't get to see my friends quite as much. My classes are harder and I'm having to work harder (good thing). I need to study more, but we still have our fun. I'm excited to get past all the weeder courses and get to some fun upper level topics. Being abroad this time next year will be fun, and being 21 when I get back will be better.

11. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    College was amazing. Met the most amazing people, traveled through study abroad, and actually published a paper. Only thing I would have changed was the girl I wasted junior year on...

12. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Meh. I'd do most of it again for the experience, but I'd change a couple of things, mainly my credit card usage. :eek: Still smarting over that one years later.

I sort of remember my first 2 years...my next 2 are even more hazy, which led to there being a final 2 years...but I never had a morning where I rolled over and yelled, "AGGH! What was I thinking!"

13. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I had a great time in college. All 10 years of it.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wish I got more involved in my college life sooner. I now do everything and have no time for anything else.

Well, I wasted all my time the last 3 years. Such is life.

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Loved it.

4 years undergrad. 3 post grad.

thought I'd try the real world - lasted 3 years.

Back to Uni - been there 10 years! So after 17 years it still beats working.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The first two years of college were probably the best two of my life. :)

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Overall a waste of time. I made a few friends, took a bunch of classes I didn't need and had no interest in so I don't remember most of what I learned. I didn't party hard or anything, I guess I did it wrong.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Undergraduate was very painful
    Graduate has been very stimulating

19. So far, I have not enjoyed it at all. Although I go to a community college where there's not many people my age so I haven't had the true college experience yet. I'll let you know how I feel this time next year.

20. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    it's the best 4, 5, or 6 years you'll never remember:D

in all seriousness, i had fun but learned a LOT, and worked a LOT...too little sleep in grad school