1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did you ever?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VWbug, Oct 4, 2013.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Think to take a plain old entry level bass that sort of grabbed your eye and thought to just upgrade the pickups and make it more functional to just use for stuff? There's something kind of appealing to me about the simplicity and look of this little bass. :)
    null_zps614fc4de.

I found my home and what I like for real. :)

Think it would possibly make a good little PJ? I often read where folks say their Yamahas are underated. Thoughts?

null_zpsa432dde0.
    null_zps9f349a08.
    null_zps7de7539c.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The rbx's are very good. I had a fretless that I got for $80 bucks that sounded great. It was a p though, not a PJ. I didn't upgrade anything. Didn't really need it.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I took an Epiphone Thunderbird, defretted it, got rid of the active preamp, replaced the pickups and wiring, and now I like it a lot better. Value for money? Not much, but I did it mostly just to do it.

4. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    "I didn't upgrade anything. Didn't really need it."

Lol :)

5. Kevindm215

Kevindm215

May 19, 2008
    I'm in the process of stripping the paint off a Harley Benton 5 fretless, gonna stick new pick ups and a tremolo bar on to it and then hopefully get someone to do some sort of design on it. purely for the fun and experimentation. I'll always have the pick ups and tremolo for another bass should i decide to change it up. I think it'll be a lot of fun to mess with

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have that bass; it was my first one. I have sold other basses to move up, but I kept that one. I haven't changed a thing on it.

7. Gaolee

Well, yeah, that's about right.:p

8. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Well, yeah, that's about right. :cool:

Nice to keep your original. Good for you. :)

9. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I have the exact bass. I shielded the pup and pot cavities and installed a Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pound Pickups for P-Bass neck and Jazz Bridge. Awsome!

10. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Really?! No kidding. You feel like the basic platform, while entry level, is solid enough to add to?

There is something about that simple look, passive electronics and the natural "Mango" finish and basic PJ set up that sort of appeals to me. Along with the light weight.

The sounds I prefer are my Jazzes. MIM has Dimarco Js for a P bass like tone and the MIA has a Series/Parallel switch for P bass like tone when desired but I have always liked that PJ setup. Thanks for your input. :)

11. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    This Fernandes was $25, the pickups were another $85 (DP126 set) :)

fernandes.

12. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Very cool! DP126? The Dimarzio PJ set? :cool:

13. Yamaha s are indeed underrated, and Im glad you found your home

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Yes. I called them my 'transplant patients'. Both exceeded my expectations:

P1130128.

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Yeah, GREAT sound for the money; that set is a fantastic bargain.

16. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks.
    Good to know. I have the model Js in my MIM fsr Jazz and like them a lot.

17. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Yes I do and did! Every once in a while you can find an inexpensive bass that for some unknown reason was made just right. I found one that fit me perfectly. I love the feel of the neck (no sharp fret edges), balance, etc. The SD pups made this bass awsome. I am very happy.:hyper:

18. Gaolee

The funny thing is some are bone stock original and some are absolutely not. The P-Bass is completely original. No need to do anything to it. It is a P and I could do all kinds of things to it and it still would be a P. The EB-2 was modified with a Dimarzio pickup when I got it 30 years ago. The only thing I have done to it is find a bridge cover, since that had been taken off. Same with the mute, although I didn't put the mute on it for very long. The Ric, well, what exactly do you do to a Ric anyway? Then there's the 'Bird. It keeps changing. Maybe it didn't need it. Maybe it did. It keeps my soldering skills up to date. I love the 'Bird. There's nothing better than a little weirdness.

19. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I'm modding an MIM jazz deluxe 5 with Nordstrand splits & a John East & a black brass hipshot. can't wait!

20. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Clearly I'm not completely off the wall to consider doing this. Lol :)

I've been getting rid of things lately that I don't use. Not sure how I'm going to justify this to myself...

I really have all I need and then some. To be honest I could just get by with one bass like my MIA Fender Jazz.

There's just something about that inexpensive little Yamaha RBX 107 ex that gnaws on me. Lol :)