Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between fenders...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Jul 14, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im looking into buying a fender p, and wanted to know what the real difference was between the highway one series, and the regluar american series. i did a few searches on this site, some online stores, and fenders site, but i couldnt find any answers. all i could get was that the highway 1 series has a different finish. could this be the only change, and if it is, is it so much different as to warrant a few hundred dollar price difference?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Cheaper hardware, different finish... You are less likely to get a gem, but like all instruments, get out there and play some to see if you like them.

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    by hardware, do you mean bridge, tuners, etc., or pickups and stuff also? i havent played any highway 1's, but ive played a few americans, and i loved the tone.

and how much would a different finish affect the sound, if at all?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't really know how much finish affects tone that much. I figure it would to some extent, but not enough for my ears to care. The bridge is like a mexican fender, as are the tuners and such. The pickups are still American Standard, IIRC.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ok sweet, ill try to head out to gc tomorrow and play a few of each (if they have any). thanks for the help man :bassist: .

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sure thing! Let us know how the search goes.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    These are the differences between the two.
    1)MIA has a graphite re-inforced neck, hwy 1 doesn't
    2)MIA has rolled fingerboard edges, hwy 1 doesn't
    3)MIA is strung thru the body, hwy 1 is strung thru bridge
    4)MIA has side to side string adjustment for spacing, not sure about the hwy 1
    5)MIA comes in alder or ash, hwy 1 comes in alder only
    6)MIA comes with maple or rosewood board, hwy 1 rosewood only
    7)MIA comes with beefy open back tuners, hwy 1 has standard tuners (MIM like)
    8)MIA comes with case, T wrench, saddle wrench, strap and cord, hwy 1 comes with dlx gig bag
    mia comes straplok ready, hwy 1 don't.
    9) MIA comes in many different colors, hwy 1 comes in 4 or 5 finishes designed to wear over time.
    10)MIA definatly have a more solid feel than the hwy 1 series

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hwy 1 has a nicer neck profile, IMO.

Edit: I'll add that I prefer the way the HWY1 plays but at the same time it must be said that you'll have to pick and choose because Fender QC isn't what it could/should be. A good HWY 1 makes for a nice bass but if I owned one I would probably change the pickups for Fralins.

9. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    The Highway 1 plays and feels more like a MIM, in my opinion.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    +1

11. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    alright, thanks for all the info guys, ill be going later today to try some out and post the results after.

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Funny ... if you look at the list of differences pyrohr listed, it sounds like the Highway 1 is closer in spec to the 60s fenders that people are paying crazy money for these days. hmmm...

:meh:

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Actually the hwy 1 bass is closer to the MIM bass than anything else. The tuners appear to be the same, necks are very simular. The only thing in common with 60's Fenders is the alder and rosewood only option although they did use alnico magnets in 60's pups, but then again the 60's classic jazz has the same pups and it's MIM :meh:
    Btw 60's neck profiles were different and tuners were great whether they were Fenders or klusions. today's Fender tuners on their MIJ and MIM basses leave a lot to be desired and are considered the weakest link.

14. I just got an American P-bass yesterday and IMO it is much nicer than the Hwy 1 basses. It's big, heavy, and sounds great!! Much fatness.

I looked at several other MIA Ps and Js and the one I bought had the best construction quality. The MIAs do very somewhat so be sure to shop around until you find the "right" one.

15. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    just got back from gc, they didnt have any highway 1's at all, but they did have a sunburst mia p with and s-1 switch for right under $1000. it was great sounding, but then i saw a bubinga spector legend 4 p/j for $599... i played it and it sounded waaaayyyyy better than the fender. what do i do? :help:

16. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Get the one that feels best and sounds best to you when played through the same amp. ;)

Good Luck and Have Fun! :bassist:

17. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    the spector is better sounding and more versatile IMO, but the bass i use now is a rockbass corvette, and theyre very similar. ill probably end up selling one of my acoustic guitars to make this happen...

18. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    You found a bass $400 cheaper that you like better and you're asking what you should do? I love my Fenders, but if you think the Spector is waaaayyyy better, I suggest you go back and play it another time to see if you really like it. If so, go for it. BTW--If it's the model below, you can take the price to GC and have them match it and save yourself $50.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517431/

19. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yeah thats the one, i dont dig gold hardware too much but it works with this bass. should i print that out and bring it, or can i just tell them how much it was online? also, i might be able to score a cymbal for my kit or a 5 space rockstand if i take it for $600, so im taking whatever the best deal is...

20. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Yeah, print it out, though I think GC and musiciansfriend are related so they should be able to verify the price very easily. But you might as well make it easy for them.