1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between Low and High Tension Strings Rockabilly/Psycobilly

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by bassiks, Mar 20, 2009.

1. bassiks

bassiks

Jul 8, 2008
    I am about to get some new strings for my double bass. I play psycobilly/rockabilly and am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between low and high tension strings. I detune my bass to D so i am wondering wether i should get medium tension rather than the low to make up for the greater slackness in the strings caused by detuning. I know most people use low tension. I am looking at innovation strings. Any information anyone can give would be awesome.:help:

2. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Hey,
    I just put on a set of Super Silvers today. They are replacing very old Spiros. I couldn't take the tension of the Spiros any more. Did a gig over the weekend and had no fun. The bass was real tight and dead.

I'll say this, the Super Silvers are much easier to play and the bass is boomin'. It may be comin, from the Spiros but I can't see having a set that is lighter such as the Slaps. These feel great and are easy on the left hand. I tried the bow but I don't think these strings are very good for that. The bass I have them on is an old Kay.
    Hope this helps.

3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Most people use low tension strings for billy cause they're easier to slap. Usually higher tension strings have more acoustic volume and sustain (I think) and are a little harder on the hands. Also, when slapping I think they return to neutral position a little more quickly (I think). Just a different feel.

I use Innovation Rockabillies which I understand are similar to the Silver Slaps except they are slightly higher tension (still low tension though I think). And they are black and have probably sound a bit different. And they are a little smaller.

I haven't really tried any other strings than Inno RAB's and Jargar Dolces, but I'm happy with the RAB's.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Innovation makes three different Rockabilly/bluegrass tensions - their RAB Blacks, Silver Slaps and Golden Slaps they characterize as 'Medium Tension', the Ultra Blacks as 'High Tension' and the Super Slaps as 'Low Tension'. Nice strings all.

To me, they feel like the three tensions as described. :)

5. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    ;)

http://www.innovationstrings.com/inncat.htm

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    WELCOME BACK GEARHEAD! You must be drunk.