1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between old GK 200MB and recent GK150S

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by massimo, Jan 3, 2018.

1. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    Hello, has anybody used both combos ? Apart from the obvious differences in power and controls, is there a difference in how they sound with double bass ? Some friends tell me the old 200MB sounds better with UB. What do you think? After years of using more "transparent" amps i'm considering going back to a more direct sound, sure less natural but maybe more functional in a gig.

2. Honestly, you’ll never regret picking up an older GK 200MB!

I so love mine that my worry is if it ever gives up the ghost (and it is indeed a pain to take apart to do any repairs...)

I have played the 150s, and although very similar it seems more suited to a modern EB application. Although the 200MB is very scooped, it can be dialed in to a sound I find hard to achieve as simply in other combos.

Just my two cents...

Gotta love the lunchbox!

Randy Ward, Ric Vice and massimo like this.
  3. I was always kind of skeptical about those little GK lunch boxes. I had only played through a teachers MB 150 and wasn't wowed. A bass playIng friend of mine died last summer and his wife called me and asked if I'd be interested in buying his MB 200. The price wasn't great but I bought it really just because I knew she was not doing well financially and figured maybe I'd flip it in the classified here. It was beat, scuffed up like an old beer can, dirty pots, missing screws, the feet, etc. Replaced everything, touched up the finish so it looked almost acceptable from a distance. On a whim used it on a drummerless trio gig in a medium club. And then I got why everyone is so into this amp for DB. I don't know if it's just been too long since I played through the newer version or that you need to use it on a gig to truely appreciate what it does but, yeah I kept it. Plus whenever I use it I think about my departed friend. Thanks Chris!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    massimo, Fretless55 and DanL like this.
  4. DanL

DanL

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
    My GK 200MB has been my "go to" amp for most of my rehearsals / musical theater / small jazz combo / and big band gigs... my only challenge has come with the 18 piece big band on a large stage in a good sized auditorium and the sound guy did not mike my amp (nor take a line out) - so I was struggling a bit in that setting... otherwise it's been a solid performer... is it the most transparent sound? no it is not... but it sounds pretty darn good over all... and it is a workhorse of a little amp ;)

massimo, Randy Ward and Fretless55 like this.
  5. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    I've grown somewhat disenchanted with my MB150s and recently listed it for sale locally. I've never used the 200MB. You all have peaked me interest now. Hope I get a chance to try one sometime.

massimo and Ric Vice like this.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    They occasionally come up for sale in the TB Classifieds or Reverb. They don’t always fair well over time. The power transformer is bolted to the bottom of the speaker housing. If the unit is dropped it can easily be dammaged. Nice amp I owened two of them. They were real workhorses and sound great with Double Bass provided you weren’t playing loud gigs.

Ric

massimo likes this.
  7. BobbyT

BobbyT

Feb 19, 2017
    Chicago
    I’ve used both, sold both, and now own the 200MB again. I think it sounds warmer and less boxy in the midrange than the MB150S/E, and it’s still a good value despite the recent wave of tiny amps hitting the market.

I’ve used the 200MB for jazz, theatre, and beyond. Even hooked it up to huge cabinets in New York for club dates on bass guitar when I was in college.

Unfortunately I am no longer gigging these days, so if anybody is interested in checking it out, I might be looking to get rid of mine soon.

massimo likes this.
  8. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010

massimo likes this.