1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference in 32" neck dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by abarson, Jan 22, 2012.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    For my next build I'm planning to go with a 32 inch scale 4 string.
    What I'd like to understand is how the rest of the neck dimensions are affected by making the neck shorter.

If the nut is the same width, is the neck taper different?

Does this change the width of the neck at the pocket?

Any information that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm assuming that pickup placement needs to be adjusted to accommodate the shorter scale as well, right?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Everything will be 0.94117647 (32/34) of what it usually is. But you can still decide what you want your nut width, bridge spacing, and neck profile to be.

3. I've built a few 32's. I use all the same dimensions as a 34" jazz bass- nut width, heel width, string spacing at nut and bridge... just make the scale length shorter. I use a constant thickness from nut to heel, but that's just how I like them. You can change all of it, or none of it. Those numbers are all just preference.

4. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    On the 32" I've built I decided to scale down everything, including nut width and spacing at the bridge (used Schaller 3D, it allows for 18 mm spacing)

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The dimensions change only a slight amount from a 34 as Barnaclebeau stated. I am doing a 32" 5 string Single Cut, with a 17mm ABM piezo bridge, and the dimensions of 1.75" @ the nut and 2.75" @ 24 are still the same, basically gaining about 1/64" on each side of the fb, so it's very similar.

6. Drake Custom

Drake Custom Commercial User

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Builder/Owner:Drake Custom Bass Guitars
    I have completed about twenty 32's and I always just use the same Fender Jazz specs but with the shorter scale. I also like to use 26 frets on my 32's just so the neck feels a bit more like my 24 fret 33's and 22 fret 34's. 1.5 inches at the nut and around 2.5 at the highest fret depending on the number of frets. With these specs I get a little space on the outside of the strings so that I can do a nice rolled edge without getting too close to the string path. Just the right amount of space without looking or feeling goofy

7. joavth

joavth

Mar 3, 2012
    I have a question about neck width starting from the nut to the 22nd fret. Im building my first bass using a 35" scale. Currently my neck is all squared up and the width is 2 3/8. I know I've got plenty of room at the nut position, but am I under where I need to be at the body? This is a neck thru design. Im learning as I go relying on my last 18 years as a custom cabinet and furniture maker, but this is apples and furniture is oranges! Thanks John

8. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    .... and your gonna show us it when your done right? (no, lame excuses either!!!)
    Tim :bag:

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Decide on your desired string spacing at the nut, and mark it. Decide on your desired string spacing at the bridge, and mark it 35" from the nut. Connect them with lines. Leave 2 or 3 mm on each side outside those lines; this is where your neck is.

I've never done a neck through, but I'm assuming that the neck taper stops at the point at which the body wings connect, and from there through the rest of the body the "neck" sides are parallel. But there's no hard and fast rule here - if you build it differently and it works, then you win!