Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences between Goliath I and Goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dee rob, Mar 9, 2004.

1. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Can anyone explain the difference in tone and/or quality between the SWR Goliath I and the Goliath III. I've heard the older version is better, but I don't know why. Thanks.

Dee

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The original Goliath I was built by Eden.

3. I don't claim to know the whole story, but I don't think the entire Goliath I was made by Eden; maybe just the drivers. I could definitely be wrong. Other than that, the original Goliath was a rear-ported design, quite compact (pretty much like the current Eden 410 T). I think the Peavey 410 TX was modeled on that design. Then came the Goliath II which was made at SWR with PAS drivers, and then it morphed into the front-ported Goliath III we have today.

4. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Thanks for the responses. Any major difference in tone?

Dee

5. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    bump

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've heard the III is brighter, more middy...the I or II will be a bit warmer.

7. Eden provided the speakers for the Goliath I, which sounds a lot warmer than the "lower budget" Goliath IIIs, a world of differences IMO.

A used GI still goes for $350.00 - $400.00, while a used GIII goes for ~ $250.00, Ive seen 2 or 3 of them online for that price.

:bassist: