Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

differences in tone: series/parallel/single coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 1, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    in general, what kinds of tonal flexibility do series, parallel, and single coil offer?

2. Series: Highest output, warmest tone (bass and mid emphasis), hum-cancelling

Parellel: Lowest output, brightest tone (treble emphasis), hum-cancelling

Single coil: Slightly higher output than parallel, slightly less bright tone (though still noticeably brighter than series), not hum-cancelling on its own (might be if you combine it with other pu's)

In addition, choosing either coil in single coil mode gives you slightly different tones. For example, with MM pickups, the coil closer to the bridge gives a tone which is very similar to a bridge jazz pu, while the other one keeps more of the MM character. I have a Basslines MM pu in my main bass with all three options: I use parallel most of the time, switch to series for soloing and select single coil if I want that bridge jazz tone, or to combine it with the neck jazz for a great hum-cancelling tone that I use mainly for walking lines.

3. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Attn: Clorenzo

I am getting a bair of Bart P2 Soapbars in the quad version. How popular or common is it to use series/single/parellel with this PU? Is it very benifitting?

4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This must be the most concise post EVER written. Kudos, Clorenzo.