1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Differencw between MusicMan Stingray and Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jornan, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    What is the difference between a MusicMan Stingray and a Bongo? How's the sound and is to different to play on them?

2. one is ugly and the other one is uglier :bag:

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Different woods, different electronics available, different looks.

4. MattChancellor

MattChancellor

Apr 17, 2008
    NV
    Well, imo the Bongo is a million times more versatile than the Stingray. However, 70% of bassists seem to have a huge problem with the Bongo's looks. I don't mind them one bit. The bongo is the most comfortable bass I have yet played.

But I like Stingrays too. They may not be as versatile, but if they capture the one sound you use perfectly, why would one need versatility? ;)

5. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    the bongo uses neodymium magnets, the stingray uses alnico.

6. The Bongo has the most amazing slap sound I've heard... but then again, the Stingray is good too...

- Andrew

7. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I've had it described to me that the bongo is like taking a great bass, and dipping it in LSD. and maybe a lil meth.

needles to say. pretty sweeeet

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If the Stingray is an HH or an HS, it's as versatile as the bongo. Soundwise, the stingray is funkier sounding. Not sure how to really describe it, but it's warmer and rounder sounding than the Bongo. The Bongo has it's own unique thing going on though - so your best bet is to play and listen to them both. Stingray weighs a little more, and the neck is unfinished. The finished neck on the Bongo feels smooth to me though and to be honest, I don't really even notice the difference. Both are great slapping basses, I prefer the Stingray although the maple fingerboard on mine might have something to do with it. My $.02. And worth every damn penny of it!!!!!!

9. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    It's easier to list the similarities. Tuners, bridge, and some colors. Maybe fret wire? They're totally different basses IMHO. I don't care too much for the Stingray. The Bongo is much better. Too bad it's ugly. I've said before and I'll repeat. EBMM needs to take the feel and tone of the Bongo and repackage it in a conventional looking instrument. They'll sell a million of them.

10. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    -For a "grind" sound, nothing can beat a Sting Ray. Incredibly comfortable to finger, pick, or slap. It's a slap machine. For some reason, I can play faster on a Sting Ray than any other bass (possibly excepting the Geddy Jazz).

-Bongos are just plain cool. Incredibly versatile, very comfortable, and one of the coolest looking basses there are (especially the Stealth).

Both are awesome, but distinct.

11. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    The difference is the Bongo is ugly as hell.

I really should play one one day, though.

12. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    i own a stingray and i don't own a bongo :)

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Bongo's are for young people with a sense of fashion and Stingrays are for old men.

14. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    the difference is, bongo's are extremely tasty and go perfectly with soup,... oh wait,.... I'm getting them confused with.............

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

easy to see where my confusion happened huh? :bag: :D

15. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I own a Sterling HS so I might be missplaced here but IMO they're both awesome basses.
    I think a Ray HS or HH will give you plenty versatility, but still, they wont necessarily nail each other's sound.
    If I was doing studio work then I might even go with the Bongo, but as long as I have to go play my instrument in front of crowds, I'll stick with the one that won't give people the urge to throw fruit at me...

16. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    lolol
    :p:p

17. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I had a Bongo 5 HHP for a while. I think it was too much bass for me - too many bells and whistles, I felt like I needed to take some kind of course to get a good sound out of it. In a more competent set of hands, I'm sure it was just the ultimate, but it made me crave simplicity. Some people love that, though; it can essentially do anything you ask it to.

The looks were a different issue entirely. There is the whole toilet seat thing, yes, but buttercream and stealth versions are pretty sexy, if you ask me.

18. Pump Man

Pump Man Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Pasadena, MD
    Greetings Group!

I have the pleasure of owning both a Bongo 5 HH and a couple of Ray 5 HH.

Hands down, the Ray 5 HH is more versatile. In the middle lever position you have close to what a Bongo sounds like with both pu's on. The Ray 5 HH will make 5 very distinct sounds and the EQ is very effective and easy to use.

However, nothing beats the Bongo for sheer power, clarity, and depth of tone. Put on a set of HiBeams and you are all set.

19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I think it really depends on which of the two models you're comparing. Both are available in H, HS, and HH pickup configurations. Then there's even a Piezo option too.

For what its worth I've owned several single H StingRays and a HH Bongo. All were excellent basses but I have to admit, I loved the Bongo the most.

IMO the single H Bongo is best of the bunch. Its simple and straightforward like a classic StingRay, but with all the modern refinements of the Bongo.

20. I've never played a Bongo as they aren't carried by my GC, they have a few Stingrays though and I love them.