Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different bands

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jackmurray, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I want to get into some different bands and was wondering if you could tell me of any ones I may like. I like dream theater, pantera, rush, liquid tension and joe satriani. Not a very broad range, so I was wondering what are some good bands I could download and have a listen to. I like heavy stuff, and instrumental stuff, but i'm open to anything.

Thanks, Jack

2. Heavy and Instrumental? Well heres some stuff

Clutch - Kickass Hard Rock
    High on Fire - Ditto
    The Red Chord - Brutal crushing metal
    Dillenger Escape Plan- Mind bending , technical, brutal metal
    Mastodon- prog metal
    Crowbar - Has ex Pantera members
    Bad Brains - Hardcore band, if you like Pantera.......
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Avant Garde Metal
    Faith No More - Mike Patton
    Mr.Bungle - Mike Patton
    Tomahawk-Mike Patton
    Fantomas- Mike Patton
    Hidden Hand - Stoner Metal/Doom
    WitchCraft - Prog/Stoner metal
    St.Vitus- Doom/ Stoner Metal
    Obsessed- ditto
    Kyuss - Stoner Metal to the fullest
    Pelican - THE best epic/atmospheric metal band
    Isis- Almost as good as Pelican
    Book of Knots - Crazy prog metal
    Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - Scary, yet damn good.

By the End of Tonight - Epic instrumental rock
    Zeni Geva - Japanese Stoner Rock
    Opeth - Dark Prog Metal
    The Mass - Jazz Metal

And of course if you haven't already, check out Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath , Legendary bands.

That should keep you busy for a while, i might have some more later.

3. Wow, that was an awsome answer, I wasn't expecting that, thanks man. If anyone else has any more, they'd be much appreciated.

Jack

4. Also, if you wanna get into jazz I suggest:

Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Ornette Coleman
    Mahuvishnu Orchestra
    Marc Ribot
    Kenny Wheeler
    Jeff Beck
    Santana
    Sun Ra
    Thelonious Monk
    Chick Corea
    The Lounge Lizards

BTW, you probaly should have posted this in Recordings or Miscellaneous, but its cool. A mod will probaly fix it for you, just remember next time......

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Go buy Opeth's "My Arms, Your Hearse" and "Blackwater Park" right now. You can't really describe this band to anyone properly. Just listen and decide for yourself.

Every one of their albums is brilliant, but I feel these two best encapsulate their sound as a whole. Actually I think Blackwater leans a bit too far in the lighter prog rock direction, but it is their most accessible album for people who are not into harder metal. If your a fan or melodic death or black metal already then I suggest starting with My Arms and either Morningrise or Still Life.

6. Opeth and pelican are mad. I downloaded a few of their songs. I really dig them, thanks for pointing them out. Do either of them have a DVD out? I'd be interested.

Thanks for your help, Jack

7. Gentle Giant
    The Producers
    Gino Vannelli; "Appolusa"
    Alice Cooper; "From the Inside"
    The Tubes

Head out to Barnes & Noble; they, (and other stores, now), have listening spots to scan discs and hear cuts off them to review before you buy. Take a long list with you and check 'em out!

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Opeth has a live DVD called Lamentation which is supposedly great, I have not seen it.

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Opeth's dvd is great. This is probably my favorite concert dvd. They do the album Damnation in its entirety and then play a second set of their heavier songs.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Damn Page, you are on it. But don't steal all my answers.

Plus you don't even know that the Mass are incredible, yet. I stuck the package in the mail yesterday by the way.

I'll add:

If you like Sleepytime, try to find Idiot Flesh. Rare, but worth it.

If you like Pelican or Isis, try Kayo Dot. Again for a different, rarer version of most of the Kayo Dot line-up, look for Maudlin of the Well.

If you turn out liking The Mass, get Ephel Duath's album Painter's Palette.

Not sure if you dig the -core stuff, but I'm digging Norma Jean as of late.

If The Red Chord or DEP are too musical for you, check out An Albatross. They are about as spastic as I have heard.

If you want to get into something without any metal influences you can post in a thread I created called, You'd Like. It's been pretty popular and successful for the most part.

11. Well You brag about the Mass so much I figured Id suggest em. Im pretty sure ill dig em anyway.

And when I replied the first time I thought " Now how would Adam reply?" :D