1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different strings for different tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    So I just started listening to ghost again, and I know they play in d standard as I'm new to bass I just want to know do I HAVE to change my strings for different turnings? Specifically d standard but for future refferance do I need to change the strings for any tuning or will the strings that come on my bass stock be ok?
    Not sure what strings came on my bass btw

2. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Ps new to bass if this isn't completely obvious lol

3. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    For D standard you should be fine with whatever is on your bass. When you are just learning, what's wrong with regular tuning?

Jimstyx likes this.
  4. sneauxman

sneauxman

Jul 14, 2017
    Just a step down to d you should be fine unless the strings are really light gauge. If things are too loose for your taste try a medium or medium heavy gauge

Jimstyx likes this.
  5. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Ghost plays in d standard and I figured if I'm trying to get that sound I should copy that tuning

6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    You're going to learn from one band?

7. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    I'll have to double-check this when I get a chance, but are you absolutely sure the bassists for Ghost downtune? I learned a couple of Ghost tracks as combined singing and playing practice (Square Hammer for sure, don't remember the other title off the top of my head) and I didn't have to alter my tuning for either.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    .045, .065, .085, .105 are good strings for me on standard EADG tuning. You can try DGCF tuning on those gauges and see if there is enough tension for your playing style. If not, increase each string gauge by .005 and you should be good to go. Not sure if the nut on your bass will handle it though.

Also, I highly suggest taking the strings off your bass and getting a new set installed. You have no idea how old the original strings are and how much you can improve the tone of your bass.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Most string gauges are sold to be at a certain tension, more or less, when tuned to EADG. If you detune any or all of them and want to keep the same exact tension or tone, then those strings need to be a heavier gauge or you need to learn to like the floppier feel and tone.

It's simple mathematics.

k81cuRq.

Now, if you want to be able to change tunings often you need to compromise and select a string that has the desired tension at a note halfway in-between the two extremes of where you are wanting that string to go.

Jimstyx likes this.
  10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    No obviously not but I want to play some of their music I don't have to stay in standard while I learn I can try new songs can I not? I wanted to know simply if I can keep my strings and change tuning if I couldn't I would put off playing ghost for a while but seeing as I don't have to change strings I would like to add some of their songs to my repotoire. Get it?

11. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I'm not positive just random research showed a majority of the bass is in d standard I could be wrong
    Regardless the question will help for further playing
    Any bass player should know when a string change is required for different tuning