1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different wood same tone??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kabal, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    So I'm very close to finalizing a custom bass idea but I need some clarification.

I know I want the bass to be a gritty, grinding, bone rattling, sound in your nightmares kind of sound. A slap machine freak of nature. Much like the tone in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leUJBTz3J0

But I'm not a fan of the all maple look so I was wondering if I replaced the woods as such...

Body-Walnut
    Fretboard-Bloodwood
    Neck- Hard maple (I'm sure I gotta have some)

Would I still be getting the tone I'm looking for? I know there are many other mitigating factors, but does anyone have experience with these woods?

I've found a little bit on heir tone qualities on the net and they seem to point in the direction I'm going for but firsthand experience is always better.

2. Walnut is considered one of the "warmer" woods, but I've heard some nice sounding basses made out of that wood.

3. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    That was one thing that struck me I read some things that said walnut was warm and other saying it was brighter.

4. For that kind of tone, I think you would be better off with mahogany.

5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    What tone? If you want to sound like that It doesn't matter what you use as long as you turn the treble all the way up.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    And nice new round wound strings.

7. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    I always thought mahogany was one of the warmest woods you could use?

8. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    bumpage

9. Yes, but it was also a very nice upper end bite and a very smooth mid and strong fundamental. From what I've heard in the video, that's look like it. Oh and don't worry that much about the "warm" thing, but it through a tube head and it will work. Sure mahogany is not the only wood you could use, but I though walnut maybe had a bit too much of low mids for that kind of tone. All IMO of course.