Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digi 001 and mixers

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by g04t, Feb 3, 2005.

1. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    i currently have a digi 001 and a dedicated tower.
    so kick me if I'm wrong, but I need a mixer to record more than 2 simultaneous tracks at once.

what do you recommend for a mixer in the 1-500 dollar price range?

going for 6-8 simul recording tracks at once

thanks

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    you don't NEED a mixer, you could also use a preamp, and run it into the inputs on the back. I run a basement studio, based around a Digi 001, and we run 2 inputs into the front, 4 through a preamp, and 2 through a mixer when we record drums. Preamps are expensive though, good ones at least, so if you're not doing serious recording, a mixer is probably your best bet anyway. Mackie mixers are good, in my experience.

3. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Thanks for the Info

I'd thought about preamps, but I don't want to get a ****ty one, and don't have the cash for a great one either :D

So i'm going with the Mackie 1402.

Behringer has about a 50/50 shot at either being an amazing deal or a pain in the ass. I have a buddy who works as a local repair tech for them, if they have the part in stock - great.

If not it's going to come from europe and will take for-ev-er.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Try to find a Mackie 1604 for decent price. They are nice because they have direct outs on the first 8 channels. With the 1402 you will have to use the first click on the inserts to get a "direct" out.

You may check out the ONYX stuff that Mackie makes too. The 800R 8 Channel pre is perfect for an 001 or 002. Prolly more money than you want to spend though.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I'm going to share my experience, and you may not like it. Sorry about that. Just sharing my experience, is all. :D

IMO, a mixer isn't going to cut it. You're not going to get "clean" tracks that way, and they're going to be almost impossible to process "after the fact", which can often be very important.

So far, my take is that it's hardly ever necessary to record more than two tracks at once, unless you're doing live drums, or you're engineering an orchestra.

But, in those situation where it "is" necessary, the last thing in the world you want to do is corrupt your tracks with a "pre-mix". Guaranteed, you'll run into so many headaches that way that you'll end up kicking yourself in the butt (probably more than once). :D

My solution would be, go for the multi-track digital recorder. Something like a "real" ProTools setup, or maybe a Delta 1010, something like that. If you really "need" that many tracks. :)

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    He did indicate that he wanted to do 6-8 tracks simultaneusly. He could potentially do 16 simultaneusly with an 001. I don't think he wants a mixer so he can mix, more like he needs the additional pre-amps.

If you want "clean" tracks, I take that to mean multi tracked, just take a direct out from each instrument. Mic the guitar, DI/mic the bass, Vocals, Kick, Snare, Stereo OH, and room mic. Of course that is for a three piece but there is your eight tracks. You could pull the kick and snare and just use an OH for drums to free up some tracks if need be. If you need to do more, you will have to find yourself a means to convert your signal to lightpipe and go into the 001 that way. (Mackie 800r, M-audio Octane etc...)

"Real" Pro Tools is not needed. For demo's and hobbyist stuff, you should be good to go, though Digidesign is decreesing support of the 001, I think you can get 6.0 is all up to 6.7 currently. Get your ins and out squared away and you'll easily do what you want, so long as your PC is adequate.

Cheers.

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY

Before we got preamps, we used a Mackie mixer to record 8 tracks simultaneously, with an 001. You just use the direct outs on each track of the mixer. I've produced numerous bands with my 001, all to great result. What do you mean a "real" ProTools setup? A $16,000 HD system? Only professional studios need something of that level.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question. It said "dedicated tower", so I assumed it was a home studio situation. I have a Delta 1010, and the only reason I really need it is to record live drums. Eight tracks are just about right for that, I've found. :)

In a live situation (ie "not" home studio), things would be different. That was kinda my "orchestra" analogy. But in a home studio, if you're "not" doing live drums, is there really a need for gazillions of tracks? "Virtual" tracks maybe, but my take is it's very rare to need more than two "actual" tracks doing that kind of thing.

Sorry if I'm missing the point here, or spouting nonsense. :confused:

9. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    You are correct good sir.

The 1402 is due to arrive next week sometime, we'll be fine with it. I almost went with the 1602 - but saving money for Mics is a better option at this point.

Thanks for the input on the 1402 Ins.

Now it's time to heat up the soldering iron and make more XLR cables.

I'll report back to this thread with a review of the 1402 if anyone's interested.

10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Definately agree with sacrificing pre's for mics, does'nt do you any good to have more pre's than mics. Happy recording.

11. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    so we got the 1402 some mics and some stands.
    i made some cables to cut costs even more.

The 1402 is perfect for what we need. We're recording 8 tracks at once. 2 signals are direct into the digi 01 the rest come from the 1402 into the digi 01. Sounds great.

We picked up some mics along the way, after purchasing a d112 and d6 the cash was running low. Luckily we already had 2 sm57s and a couple other 58 knockoffs. But we still needed overheads.

Found 2 Nady CM90s for sale at 50 bucks each and we were set. I was skeptical of the CM90s but you know, for a hundred dollar pair these things do the ****in job.

The drums sound great. I have my d6 and sm57 on my bass cab. Have yet to get them exactly right(waiting for another mic stand). But for now we're good to go.

Now we just gotta stop ****ing up.