Digital Home Studio for Dummies

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Spanky, Jul 26, 2004.

1. I am behind the times when it comes to home recording...and Im also tired of helping other people pay off their recording gear by patronizing them for their short, I know next to nothing when it comes to building a computer based home studio and would like to learn from the basics. Are there any websites you can recommend or other sources where I can study up? (Aside of the ones listed in the FAQ Sticky). If I had all the gear sitting here right now, honestly, I wouldnt even know how to begin hooking it all up.

Thanks in advance...TB rules!
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. Much thanks! I'll check them all out!
  6. Please stop stealing my life.
  7. thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Wow, Spankbass. That's a real disconcerting avatar you've got, there. :eyebrow:

8. Yo good spank deserves another, eh?

Spank you very much.
  9. has helped me immensely - I used to think I could get a name-brand PC (no names mentioned but "C", "D", and "G" all failed at the task) to be a stable DAW but I learned that HARD WAY
    (lost our drummer over it) that you have to either build it yourself (after a lot of research and experimentation) or buy one from an integrator that specializes in audio workstations (can get expensive there). Base your choice of hardware on your software! After I leaned that Cakewalk validated Pro A 9 on an Intel 845 chipset (amongst otheres) things started gruvin' and we are recording our album with our new drummer. FYI I don't use the PC for actually capturing our performances - that is done on a Mackie SDR 24/96. The PC is the editing and mixdown machine; that is my personal choice