Digital Multitracker

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 24, 2005.

1. i'm willing to spend about 300-350 for a digital multitracker. I want a compact unit that will hold at least 8 tracks. I dont need built-in effects. ANY comments are appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Boss BR-864
    8-Track Portable Digital Studio Workstation <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="98%"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" valign="middle">[​IMG]
    It Cost a little more than your range, ($400), but I bought one for my son and he loves it.
    </td></tr></tbody> </table>

3. can you tell me something about it? the pluses and the posatives. What does it record too? (compact flash?) does it save like the fostex mr-8, making it's storage horrible. (one song per card)
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I can't give any details (he won't let me play with it for long, but it sounds very good). I believe the storage is as you mentioned, but there's someway to store files to computer. However, that may just be wave files.
  5. so can anyone tell me some more about the Boss BR-864? likes, dislikes?
  6. dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    Hey, I've got a BR-864, and it's a pretty good device for it's intended purposes.

It records to compact flash (not sure of the max size, but I've used a 1 GB card). The tracks are compressed, but it appears to be a lossless compression. I've never had any problem running out of space, but then I've not done anything real serious either.

It's got a pretty good drum machine, and a fairly extensive set of amp sims and effects, which as with any device like this, do need tweaking for your taste.

It also has a USB interface for exchanging tracks with a computer, but IMHO, this is it's weakest feature. It's very cumbersome to use, and extremely slow.

It seems to be targeted to the 'one man band' type of player in that, at max, only two channels can be recorded at a time. And the mapping of 8 tracks to 4 sliders can take some getting used to. There are 8 v-tracks for each track.

It does not come with a power supply, so count on another $20 for one. However, it will run on batteries which makes for great portability.

There's a support group on Yahoo where you find out much more about the unit:

7. how about when you record a mistake, in the MR-8, you lose memory.
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Does the newer version allow the Rhythm function to be used in time signatures other than 4/4...... and what are some one the other major upgrades :confused:

I have the first (br532) and am wondering how much better the 864 is. Especially the Rhythm function. ON the 532 you can only get drum sounds with 4/4 time!! If you use any other time signature you will get a metromome with a bell for the first down beat say for 7/8 or 5/4. And I find the Rhythm funtion cumbersom and awkward to use, but I haven't really used it that much. This unit is a great song writing tool. Really set up for the individual. Not very functional for recording the Band unless you are just recording the whole band at practice or a gig through a mic. You can only record two tracks at a time. If you want to record the band and be able to adust the levels individually this is not the unit you want. Also, I have found, bass guitar records best "Clean". The Fx for bass aren't very good.