Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitch BP8

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Mar 1, 2004.

1. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    does anyoen have this ? how is the fretless simulator, chorus, and autowah ? and how is the pedal in general ?

2. The board is very stable and easy to transport to gigs. Sometimes the power adaptor can become unplugged, but other than that, I really like the wide variety of effects that the unit offers. Can you try one out at a local music store?

You can download any of the demo tunes from my website (http://grasstain.com/home.htm) to hear the bass effects for yourself. I use the BP-8 as my exclusive effects unit when I record and play live.

Cheers,

Jay

3. Overall the BP-8 is a pretty amazing and flexible piece of equipment especially considering the 100 bucks or so they seem to go for these days. The fretless sim is as good as any I've tried and used in conjunction with the compressor and the right touch it's almost there. I really like the flexibility of the chorus, flange, phase and the autowah settings. The pedal wahs are good and the whammy almost makes the BP-8 worthwhile for that alone. The compressors are decent and the EQ is flexible and the notch filter can be a quick sonic fix and the routing flexibility is a major plus.
    OTOH There are a few design decisions that are a bit off like using so much of the DSP potential of the pedal on reverb and delays that are quite good but not really all that useful for most bass players and then only having one 'mod' section and grouping almost all efx there so you can only use one at a time prohibiting some of the really cool and useful combinations like chorus and octaver or flanging after you autowah and so on. Because of that I sometimes use several pedals before the BP-8.

4. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Whats better, this or the BP200 ?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The BP8, hands down. It's bigger than the BP200, but has much better effects and sounds.

The built in tube gives a good warmth to the sound. I still think that to this day, the BP8 is the best multi fx unit there has been for bass. The new Boss ME-50B looks promising, mind.

6. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    how is the chorus, auto wah and fretless simulator on the BP200 ?

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH

The chorus and autowah are decent, but I really the fretless.

Where are you people finding the BP8?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    evilBay nearly always has some

9. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I should have known!

10. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    can someontell me about the Boss ME-6B ?

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I had the BP8 and now have the GT-6B. Here in Spain (where I live) the BP8 is more expensive (about $100 more) then the 6B. I changed because of just one problem in all Digitech pedalboards. When you switch from patch to patch, the pedalboard mutes the signal during about 0.1 second (a very cheap sympthom of a rather expensive piece of gear). The sounds where ok but not better than the 6B, and the 6B us way more flexible (you can combine more effects, you can alter the effects chain the way you like, you can have infinity of pedal controlling options for a patch, and those are just a few examples). I can't compara both because IMHO they are at a completely different level.

Bye...

ANDRUCA