1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech Bass Driver or Boss OBD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Looking at getting a overdrive pedal. What is the general consensus on these two? I am wanting a good gritty tone...nothing to fuzzy.

2. Get a Tech21 VT-Bass or a Tech21 Bass Driver DI. Both are very different so look up some videos on YouTube or try them out! Good luck

3. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    I run a Boss ODB (set to high gain) into a tech 21 VT Bass (set on clean but punchy) and that works for me. The VT bass (as the previous poster says) has some great driving tones on its own. The ODB changes dramatically depending on settings either side of your chain so give it a good workout and have fun experimenting. You could pick up a cheap one on eBay and sell it if its not right for you

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The digitech bass driver would be a better choice if you don't want something that's excessively high-gained. the digitech bass driver is considered tamed compared to the boss odb-3 because it's not too high-gained, but does have plenty of distortion for bass.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In that range (or less), I'd go with the Digitech Bad Monkey (or the Hardwire version) over either of those. Much more usable grit that the Boss and better tones than the Bass Driver (IMO, of course).

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

+1 on the BassDriver. And the manual has a very credible ODB-3 setting.

7. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    ima say odb personally i think it gets a great tone that can go from either really ugly and gritty to pretty tame

8. I have the ODB and I like it a lot, it can get very nasty if it needs to.

I am considering selling it, though, as I've found something I bought that I like better;

http://www.mojohandfx.com/pedals/crosstown-fuzz/

It was recommended to me, I had my doubts, but I really like it a lot. Mojo Hand FX also offers a Rook pedal which they say works good for basses.

Price-wise, they are not far off from Boss and seem to be better quality. And Mojo pedals are true bypass.

But, you can't go wrong with an ODB. And if you don't like it they're typically easy to sell.

9. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Bad monkey is great value grit pedal.