Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP8?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Feb 12, 2006.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Anyone have one? Seems kinda nifty with a valve pre-amp in there. What's your opinions?

2. There are several of us that use the BP-8. I use mine mostly for recording but also live with 2 bands that I occasionally play with with high (snob) gear standards. The tube preamp is a major plus as well as the 4 band parametric eq, the compressor is useful and all of the effects sound good. There is also a really good delay and reverb section. :bassist:

3. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    How is it compared to Bass PODxt, Boss GT6B, Digitech BP200 & BNX3, Zoom B2.1U, Sansamp/Tech21 stuff, and finally Roland Bass Cube 30/100 (the ones that has modeling)?

4. First off you gotta remember that the BP-8 was a first generation mulitefx, 5 or so years before the other units you are comparing it to. The newer ones have features, editing functions and sounds that the BP-8 does not have.
    OTOH the quality of the BP-8 is of a much higher level, much more useful for a discriminating bass player. IMO it is more real than the simulated or modelled tones in the newer boxes. The Preamp has many of the characteristics of fine tube preamps with more depth and some of the warmth of a real tube. The EQ works like you'd expect. The effects section; flange, chorus, phase, envelope and octaver; have a more analog or box quality(that's a good thing), but you can only use one of these at a given time. The delay and reverbs are of a high quality studio level not the "also included" quality in most contemporary multiefx units.
    Don't get me wrong I don't hate multiefx units, I have several Zoom units that get daily use, but the BP-8 gets used for studio recording and more high level work.

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Got one, and I love it. Would be really stuck for a decent bass sound without it...couldn't be worse than having no bass though.