Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digitech or boss?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wilki29, Jul 25, 2005.

1. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    i was looking into the boss bass chorus or the digitech multi chorus. I was wondering if anyone knew which one would sound better with the boss limiter enhancer. I was looking for the most smooth sound for melody. If you know of any other pedals that would sound smoother with the limiter enhancer let me know. Thanks

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you visit Musician's Friend's site, you can access soundclips for Boss and DT choruses.

The limiter/compressor really doesn't alter the bedrock quality of your sound but the nuances like sustain and dynamics.

A chorus may sound a bit less lush if you happen to set your threshold and compression ratio just right. But a compressor can do that to a lot of effects.

Just buy the chorus you want. You can't go wrong with either brand and there's always room in a pedal board for a chorus (a lot of us have them). Then experiment. That's all I can suggest to you.

Edit: Your sound gets even richer if you combine a chorus and an octaver.

Snag that UniBass from E Gay ($175 BIN)!

3. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    well would you recommend the limiter and the chorus working together? and should i keep the overdrive alone or could i add the limiter in too?

4. Boss all the way. Digitech is notorious for bad customer support, bad product,s and far to digital noise. Digitech's is easier to use at first, but hte Boss' can be tweaked to perfection IMO.

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I agree concerning the Digitech "digital" sound. But it can be an advantage, or something you look at. The multichorus is odd. Way odder than the Boss. It can be seen as a difference.

My TC Electronics is good, but for completely insane sounds, this Digitech multichorus would be better IMO.

(Anyway, I keep my TC :D )

6. wilki29

wilki29

Jul 24, 2005
    I was looking into a DigiTech XBS Bass Squeeze Compressor Pedal. Was wondering how that would work withmy od and limiter. You think that would be a good choice to tighten up the sound?

7. Boss LMB-3 is far better, the digitech is just....blah.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah, IME, the Bass Squeeze is worthless. The Multi-Chorus, however, can be great. It sounds "hi-fi", not cheesy.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Bass Squeeze and the Bass Limiter pretty much do the same things.

The Digi-Tech has an advantage here in that the threshold controls are broken down into two freq ranges. So you can have separate thresholds settings for your low notes and your high notes. On top of that you can even set the crossover freq that the threshold controls affect.

I considered both brands but when I was out to buy, but neither were in stock. I ended up testing two MXR Comps. Dyna and Super. I ended up with the Super.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The flexibility of the Bass Squeeze is negated by it's suck-ass tone. BTW, how do you like that Super Comp?

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The "hard bypass" makes it pop when it is kicked in or out. But other than that it works good.

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I love my Digitech Bass Chorus. I can go anywhere from a subtle 2-voice, to a haunting, warbly 16 voce. Very sweet pedal, I kick it in a lot when I get melodies, or need to add just a little more to a section.