Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beammeup, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Guys & Girls,

If I recall this correct, there once was a speciel edition of the Digitech Whammy for Bass.

Would this Whammy work for my bass as well as Guitar?
    http://www.digitech.com/products/whammy.htm

Any thoughts etc. are highly appreciated.

2. I have heard a lot of good things for the Digi-Whammy pedal. I acctually have one of these things sitting in the floor of my music closet, I haven't run my bass through it, yet. I am on a Drilling rig at the moment, I will hook it up when I get to go home, I let you know how it does. Lots of people here seem to like it.
    PS: I bought this thing for my guitar when they re-issued it, I haven't played it in a couple of years Will have to hunt the adaptor.

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi TribalisticBass,
    I'm looking forward to hear your opinion ASAP.

Happy drilling ;)

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I tried an older version, and it really didn't work too well. But I went to my music store about a week ago, and i tried the newest model out, and it worked great. Some of the drop tuning (like down 2 octaves) didn't really work too well... but that's probably because it's dropping the frequency below 20hz. The sound just sorta dissappeared.

Everything else sounded pretty good, very digital, so i would only recommend it as an effect for a part of a song, not for an entire song.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have one and i couldnt agree with matteran more. i mainly use the detune effect and the octave up to add accent, not tone. i keep it switched off most of the time but its a fun trick to have.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use one, and it's great. I use it to harmonize two handed tapping and tapping chords and it works great for that- no tracking issues at all. You can harmonize by any step, go up or down 1 or 2 octave (as mentioned, some of this is limited, of course) Will Detune and dive bomb.

For $199.00, it beats the crap out of anything else out there.

Ted

7. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Just to be sure - the newest edition of the Whammy has the modelnumber WH-4 right?

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yes, that would be correct.

9. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hello boys, i need an octaver. I was thinking of the EH octave multiplexor, but it seems that the whammy can do it as well as other things, am i right or not? Is it possible to balance between the octave sound and the straight signal. And the last question, as i like the octave down but also the octave up, is it possible to have the two sounds added to my bass signal? Sure you'll tell me that it even does cooking ;)

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Correct

No- there is not wet/dry mix, however it does have an uneffected output and that can probably be utilized to add more "dry" if you want.

Nope- just one fuction at a time.

Ted

11. there is a harmony section on the selection dial, you can use the dial to choose harmony octave up, or haromny octave down. Can't use both at the same time though. I think it is the first LED on the upper left hand column of the selection bank. To play octave up mixed signal toe down/octave down heel down. there are dedicated wet and dry out-puts. If you have two amps you can blend your sounds of wet and dry signals by way of the amp volume controls. If you have enough equipment you can alot of things with this pedal. the pedal does have a slight digital sound to it, but over all it is of the quality I have come to expect from Digi-Tech. I did have to re-calibrate my pedal after it had set in my closet floor for so long. Man these things can sound really bad if not calibrated, It will sound ultra-out-of-tune. to calibrate: unplug power supply, hold down activation switch while plugging power supply back into the wall. You should then see Flashing LED's, so far so good, release activation switch, put foot control to full on / toe down, move to toe up, and back. then step on activation switch. the end this all I can say about the Whammy. I have spilled guts. hope this solves all Whammy questions.

12. PS: You cannot have your signal, +octave up, + octave down. to achieve this type of effect I believe you will need a multi effect unit, Create a user patch, and use a parallel signal with two pitch shifter, one on each signal, set one shifter to octave up, one shifter to octave down. It is important to note if you run these shifters in-line you will only get an overly processed sound with no shifting at all. I have been looking for a pedal that only produces this effect:
    1 octave up/user signal/1 octave down, with dedicated knobs for each octave. Kind of like the Boss OC-3 except insted of the 2 octaves down knob, I would like have the 1 octave up.

13. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the information.

It's seems to my like I should get my hands on this unit :D

14. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I own the bass one.
    The differences between these 2 units are the types of pitching: the WH-4 can eaven reach 2 octaves up and down, while the bass one can only reach 1 octave (up/down). plus, the WH-4 has more harmonyzer settings and a great bypass... the bass whammy's bypass is a CRAP!!!
    though, I own the Bass whammy due to the 4th down and the 2nd up/down (which cannote be reached with the WH-4).
    What do you need?
    P.S. the main reason why I own the Bass Whammy is that I paid it 198€... including shipping prices.. :bag: