1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio Model J experience anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stewbass, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Stewbass

Stewbass

Dec 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi TBers,
    I just got a Fender USA Deluxe Jazz Bass. I was wondering if you all think it would be a good idea to put in Dimarzio Model J's and what differences it would make. I traded a P+J Bass for it, and I really like the sound of P+J. I am looking for a zingy sound that still has supported bottom end. (I like attack in my sound). Are the Model J's the one for me? I like my Model P+J that I have in another bass, do the Model J's sound similar? Is it worth it to route for a P+J setup?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To me the Model J's are very full and allow a Jazz bass to have a thicker (although less defined) sound similar to a P bass

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I really like Nordstrands. They have 3 different versions of jazz pups and you might want to check out what TB members have to say about them. I have NJ4SE's in my Corvette fretless and NJ4's in my MTD Grendel. These both added zing but kept the bottom. Obviously this is an opinion based on my ears :meh:

4. Stewbass

Stewbass

Dec 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome! Thanks for the replies.
    So the Model J's don't really bite much then?

and I'll look into the Nords I've heard nothing but good things about their pickups

5. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Oh yeah, model J's bite alright, they just aren't quite as scooped as most Js. Almost like a PJ sound. They give you the option to wire them in humbucker or single coil mode for a more traditional sound. Definitely big on the huevos.

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    The Model J's sound almost like humbuckers - they're really fat for J pups.

You may want to have series/parallel options for each pickup and in summing both pickups...in which case you could come close to the p/j setup with the neck pickup in series and the bridge in parallel (summed parallel of course)

They're great pickups, especially for the money.

If you want a P/J setup in a j-bass you're gonna have to figure whether or not you want to ever sell that bass.

Personally, I'd sell the bass for a P/J jazz bass if I had a deluxe or just switch to pickups like the ModelJ...swapping out pups is easier and rewarding when they play as well with others as the ModelJs do.

Just remember: ModelJs don't sound like typical J pups.

7. Stewbass

Stewbass

Dec 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    ok, those posts were very comforting hahaha. I tend to stray from J's because I've always felt that they didn't have quite enough bottom end, but it sounds like with the Model J's I wouldn't have that problem. Thanks again everyone!

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    FWIW, J's have MORE bottom end but Ps (split singles) tend to be wired in series which gives more oomph, feeling like there's more bottom while it's more mids and low mids than bottom.

Single coils tend to have a wider frequency range, and thus also have more top end - which is more apparent, and shifts your perception to bite and sparkle.

Since 2 single coils are essentially 1 humbucker, the way they're wired makes a difference in their tone.

If you have split singles, the way you can sum individually can add a lot of control to the party.

For example: if you wanted a more aggressive bridge pickup and a big fat neck, you couldn't really do that with a typical P/J style, but using split singles or stacks can bring that to you, and that's just summing them parallel.

A zingy sound that has a supported bottom end? You can get that with plain old single coils summed parallel.

If you want your J bass to be able to sound more like a P then you can get closer with ModelJ's (or other split singles, stacked hums, 2 coil soapbars, etc)

I think that where you'll most like these pickups is their pole pieces. They individually raise/lower. Very nice added touch.

9. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I put a model J in the bridge position on my Geddy Lee and didn't really like it all. Went back to the stock pickup. Maybe it would be different if I had replaced both pickups, but I found I lost a lot of girth in the low end, which I thought was strange since it was the bridge pickup. Anyone else ever just put one in?

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    They can't be wired single coil because they are side by side humbuckers -- you would loose half of your stings :) They can be wired series or parallel for each pickup. I think they are impressive when you first hear them, but the sound gets old pretty quickly. I prefer traditional single coil Jazz pickups.

11. Stewbass

Stewbass

Dec 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am going to start a separate thread with a new question about the pickups

12. dkhp124

dkhp124

Nov 14, 2007
    PawleeP likes this.
  13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    We both know what you mean, but side by side would be traditional humbuckers and these are split singles like a P bass or other 'hum cancelling' single coils.

they only lose their cool factor if you get them for one 'thing'...otherwise they're great fat sounding split singles with individually adjustable pole pieces that come in black or cream coloured covers.

Even individually summed Parallel these pickups sound fatter/mid-rich. Not exactly what people expect from J pups.

I like traditional style single coils too, but wish I could get these in a 5 string model. The UltraJazz is not a 5 string ModelJ.

14. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    What gets old (to you) about the sound? p

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

That was probably not the best choice of words. They just lose the classic jazz bass sound. At first it's sort of novel and interesting, but eventually I find myself just wanting the bass to sound like a jazz bass.

16. Stradivarius

Stradivarius

Aug 27, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    I like the model Js, I was after a fatter sound after all so it was OK with me, mine is all maple jazz so I guess its a good compromise.
    As said they can be wired in two different ways. One thing to keep in mind is they are a bit taller than normal single coils. Dimarzio recommends 500k pots and .022 cap

Just realized this is a really old topic. Anyway.

PawleeP likes this.