Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dimarzio model J options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by matt_dutyfree, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I'm really interested to know what options I'd have and what effect they would have on my sound if I were to get these pickups.

I'm talking coil tapping options and series/parrallel options...

I'm pretty new to these ideas so some general ideas or pointers would be so awesome!

Cheers!

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Model J's can be wired in parallel or in series, each pickup. Coil tap isn't all that useful because they are split-coil pickups, meaning a coil tap would mute one half of the pickup.

Here's a nifty diagram for wiring your pickups with a volume-volume-tone, with both volumes push-pull for series-parallel operation each:

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jagonzal/wiring.gif

3. Cheers that's awesome!

I take that will make it sound more like a regular jazz bass ie both pups would go from being split coil to single and will be in parallel with each other?!?

could I also add a dpdt toggle for making the two pups in series/para with each other???

4. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Emm, no. Model J's are split coil humbuckers, meaning a coil covers de E and A strings, and another coil covers the D and G strings. What the wiring diagram I posted achieves is making those coils, inside the same pickup, to be in series or parallel with each other, while still having the pickups in parallel like a regular J-bass, giving the individual pickup the option of a more beefy, fat sound (series) or a clearer and articulate, although less warm/oomph sound (parallel). For instance, a combination that served me well was putting the bridge pickup in series for that beefy honk, and the neck pickup in parallel, giving me a great articulate sound for soloing. The neck pickups soloed in series, with the tone rolled off, instant blues machine. Lots of stuff can be achieved... the only thing I didn't like was the bridge pickup in parallel soloed, too thin for my tastes. But the
    tonal palette sure gets bigger.

I don't see why not :D