1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model J vs Bill Lawrence J-45

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by A-Ro, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Model J

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. J-45

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm proud papa of a new G&L JB-2 (jazz style) Tribute. While I like the stock pickups, I don't like hum. I've narrowed my choices to the Dimarzio Model J and the Bill Lawrence J-45. While there are plenty of soundclips of the Model J, there is hardly any of the J-45.

Does ANYBODY have experience with each to tell me the difference between the two (output, tone, etc) and give a recommendation?

I appreciate and thank you for your feedback in advance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    Does anybody have ANY feedback?

3. ofajen

ofajen Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    If you scroll down this forum, you will find a Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups club thread and also a thread about wait times for Wilde pickups. The feedback regarding the pickups is generally very positive.

Otto

4. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    everyone says good things, but from what i have found there are zero sound clips.

5. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    Even on YouTube...I looked. There are clips for the P-46 but nothing to speak of for the J-45.

Which is why I made this thread.

6. n1as

n1as Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Is the J-45 hum cancelling or is it a straight single coil?

7. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    It's hum cancelling. That's all I really know other than "it's a good pickup".

8. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I've had model J's for years and have liked them in a couple of different basses.
    I tried to order some J-45s in the last year and never got a response to my email inquiry.
    So, I'll keep rocking the model Js and not worry about what I might be missing.

9. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    Well, I think I am going to go with the Model J's. I'd rather get something knowing what I'm getting than to talk a shot in the dark.

10. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    for what it's worth, if you didn't like the J45, i am certain they would sell within 24hrs on the classifieds.

A-Ro likes this.
  11. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    FWIW the Wilde's are hand wound and the quality and workmanship is second to none! I have a set of p-46's that were made by bill himself before he passed and I couldn't be happier with them!

A-Ro likes this.
  12. keto

keto Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I put Model Js in an Am Dlx Jazz last night and had first (hard rock) band practice today. I had had Area Js and they sounded very good but very unbalanced so I wanted the adjustable poles. Easily got them balanced in 15 minutes last night, and was rewarded with compliments on my tone today, played active 100% of the time.

I don't know about the J45s I'm afraid but really pleased with the DiMarzios.

A-Ro likes this.
  13. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I have a set of Aguilar AG4J-60 pickups installed in my JB-2. They sound better than the stock pickups: they definitely bring out the mid frequencies.
    Thinking about installing an Aguilar OBP-2 pre-amp with a passive tone bypass.

14. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm wanting to get rid of the hum so those wouldn't work for me.

15. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    to my ears J45 is a little bit mid enhanced. J45 is stacked coil. Have no idea about Model J.

16. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Late to the party here. In my audition of the Frenzel preamp, the Jazz bass in the video is using the J-45 pickups:

17. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    That sounds like a fat and versatile tone. I find model J's to be a bit muddy with finger style bass. I mostly use rounds, so I wish there was a clip with rounds.

18. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Model J is split coil. I really like it. It's a little extra from a standard J pickup. My favorite is an Ultra J bridge with either an Area or Model J neck.