Dingwall 3 pickup 6 way rotary selector wiring - need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LL-Toolbox, Nov 11, 2021.

1. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017
    I've been searching this site and the interwebs in general to get a grip on wiring up a 6 way 4 pole rotary switch for (3)x pickup selection. I think that I can come up with something that will work, but I'd sure like to find a wiring schematic to get me started. I've seen a few that I couldn't figure out how to correlate with the actual switch.
    I'd like to do this one myself so I can play with different configs.
    I get that there is no "one way" to wire it up and I've also seen some schemes for othere scenarios that are clean and simple that I don't think I would come up with on my own.
    Even a nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

2. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017
    Also, it seems that if I only want parallel configs, I'd only need a 2 pole switch.
    It seems like I should just draw up what I think would work then let you folks tell me if I'm right or wrong.
    I'll try to muster up a drawing.

3. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017
    OK...after staring at this stuff for a while, I think I get it. Nevermind.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I love three-pickup instruments, but I prefer to use a Freeway Switch.

FWS3.jpg

5. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm really curious about the Freeway switch now. I briefly had a Dingwall with a rotary switch and found it a bit cumbersome. I'm going to research these guys. I'm assuming that the switch allows for series and parallel pickup combinations. I had seen these before but dismissed them because I thought that they were all blade style switches. My new Dingwall, which hasn't arrived yet, is costing me nearly $10K. I won't be doing any crazy mods to it.

Thank you for the tip.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. LL-Toolbox

LL-Toolbox

Jul 24, 2017

I got a schematic from Free-Way and have ordered the 3x3-05.
    Thanks again for the steer.

ctmullins and Matt Liebenau like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022