1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Dingwall Afterburner AB1.5 Elite

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by whirledpeas, Mar 8, 2016.

1. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Price:
    Strings:
    For your consideration, one *fantastic* Dingwall AB1.5 Elite.

I recently acquired this from groovaholic: SOLD - Dingwall Afterburner 1.5 [PRICE DROP]

It is everything he said and more! This is my first AB, and it blows me away!! Also my first time hearing the P-tone neck pickup and holy smokes!! Seriously WOW, I love it!

I compared directly to my Super P5, and they nailed it. In fact, I may actually prefer the P-tone as it can cop vintage Pbass tones, but you can also dial in more defined, modern, punchy, grindy sounds as well. I'm sure some of that is a benefit of the longer scale length as well. This bass is a real tone monster! And the added bridge pup in parallel or series brings a lot of additional useful monster PJ tones. I'm very impressed!

Unfortunately I'm finding that playing the longer scale DW seems to exacerbate ongoing left wrist issues/pain (gangleon cyst, etc), while the "medium scale" Super Series instruments provide me relief with ergonomic benefits that I haven't found anywhere else. My fingers naturally fall in the right places on the Supers for effortless playability.

I'm bummed because this is one awesome bass! I hope to give this scale length another go sometime in the future if I can get past my current wrist problems. In the meantime I'll continue to relish playing my SP5.

I'll try to get some updated photos, but it's in the same excellent condition.

I wasn't 100% sure about the color as depicted in the previous threads, but when I opened the case I fell in love. She looks much better in person, and generally darker in color than I thought she would be. It's a beautiful finish that changes color in different lighting. The pictures also don't due the flamed maple cap justice. Just lovely!!

So my pain may be your gain.

Love to put this exquisite instrument in the hands of a player in the Seattle/Tacoma/Portland area.

Please start a private conversation if interested...

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Orange Caesar likes this.
  2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Where are you in WA? :)

3. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Live in the sticks north of Eatonville, but work in Olympia and travel through Tacoma almost every week day.

Selta likes this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Man, that's a nice bass. I wish I could find a P-tone in that pickup shape for my old AB1. I bet this wont hand around very long. Tacoma isn't terribly far from me either...

5. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    It really is amazing!

Apparently groovaholic snagged the last rectangular P-tone from Sheldon's shop.

Pick this up and you could spend some time deciding which AB and neck pickup you like the best :)

Depending on the day, I could probably meet you further north to help shorten your ride. Drop me a private message if you want to discuss.

6. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    She's perty! If i hadn't already emptied my kiddies' piggybank!! I'd take this and your amp! (I'm starting to think about selling one of my kiddies off to fund both... kidding... more or less)

Glwts!!!!

Great TB'er here folks!

7. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Thanks for the kind words, brother!

8. by the time my tax returns are back, this will be gone, fooo. Been looking for a NG-2 but I'd rather have an AB, to stick a tone capsule in!

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I hope your wrist continues to improve, brother. This is such a beautiful beast of a bass! Somebody's going to be a real happy player when they snag it. :cool:

Selta likes this.
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Wow, I figured this would be gone by now. Someone pick this up, quick!

11. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Thanks man! It's hard to part with this one. It is special, but I really need to minimize stress on my wrist, in spite of how damn good it sounds/plays/looks. Yessir, someone is gonna be happy all right!

12. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Good bit of interest so far, but no takers...

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Bump for you!

14. Man, thats a sweet looking bass :)

15. You know, I've been watching this thread and it's been really tough not to buy it. I've never tried the fanned fret thing, but this bass just keeps calling to me. Man, I might just have to take a chance and try this bass.

Orange Caesar and graphics1988 like this.
  16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Seriously, just do it. Better to buy this and know for sure, than sit there and always wonder.

For what it's worth... I "wondered" for a long time whether or not fanned frets are something I could play or would like. Finally jumped in with a Combustion, and haven't looked back since. I now own two Afterburner 1's, and have another on order. Skip the 9-ish months of waiting and grab this one.

Orange Caesar and Tonycarlson like this.
  17. Oh, that's funny. I hadn't seen your message yet, but I just PM'd Whirledpeas to say that I would take it.

Selta likes this.
  18. Congrats! I was first owner of this bass and miss it big time. Only sold it due to having to fund some auto repairs. I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I was in a financial position to do so. Hope you love it as much as I did! :bassist:

Tonycarlson likes this.
  19. Oh, thanks! That's such a cool thing about Talkbass. I see that a lot where previous/original owners comment in the classified section. Nice to see that the instruments were cared for and appreciated. I'm really looking forward to playing this one. I know it's an amazing bass.

Orange Caesar and a2zbassman like this.
  20. whirledpeas

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    I was just starting to waffle on this one, but it looks like Tony is going to save me from that.

Deal pending.

Orange Caesar, Selta and Tonycarlson like this.