1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disappointed with Avatar 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamasaurus, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    I just bought an Avatar NEO 210 off of eBay and I'm very disappointed. After reading all of the great reviews on TB I thought it was going to be awesome. It is the 4 Ohm version and when I turn up the tweeter the hiss is so loud its ridiculous. Also the seller said it was tolex and I was quite surprised when I found it was standard black carpet. I'm frickin' pissed. Just needed to vent a bit I guess.

2. victor6

victor6

Dec 2, 2007
    Well ... you can't blame Avatar for the eBay seller (wrt the Tolex misrepresentation) ... but, out of curiosity ... how does it sound when you turn the tweeter down?

Victor

3. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    I know that the covering issue is not Avatar's problem but I just included it in the post because I was angry. Tweeter down its alright, still a little hiss but I still don't think it sounds as good as my old Peavey 210. The lows aren't deep and I'm just not too pleased with the overall tone either. Maybe I just got a bad one?

4. Every cab manufacturer I ever player whad some sort of tweeter hiss. I have the avatar 210 also, I usually set your my bass and amp EQ flat, and turn the amp volume at 12 o'clock, set my tweeter control at 10-12 o'clock. Check hiss. There will be some, but it shouldnt be to annoying. Set your amp EQ the way you like and adjust the tweeter if you need to. Just dont shut shut the tweeter control completely off. I am sure others will chime in with how they set up their cabs also

5. The tweeter issue has been a complaint for forever and a day. I'm surprised you hadn't read about it before. Another question mark is what version you have. There have been two neo versions and a lot of people were not impressed with the first. Lastly, personal taste is too subjective to quantify, but it's entirely possible this isn't the cabinet for you. FWIW, I find a lot of Peavey's equipment to be under rated and undervalued.

Mike

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    How do you tell which version is which?

7. Good question. I think the only difference was the speaker choice. I'll dig a little and repost if I find anything.

Mike

8. Interesting, I'm gonna be staying in tune...

-Joe P.

9. Alright, folks. I dug around a bit and couldn't find squat to back up my assertion. I'm now starting to second guess myself and wonder if it was the 2x12 cabinet that was reworked. At any rate, until I can find what I swear I read here, just assume I'm full of crap.

Mike

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There were THREE different speakers available at different times for the Avatar 2x10: Deltas, Kappa Pro's, and Deltalite Neo's. All sound different from the other.

11. Yeah, sorry I piped up a little early. I'm nearly positive I was thinking of the 12's. I found a few posts that referenced a switch from one neo to a newer one.

Mike

12. Can you pull out one speaker and tell us what it is? Also if it was listed as tolex and you got carpet did you get the right cab? Was this from a dealer or a private seller? I have 2 210 Avatars and I just turn down or disconnet the tweeter but tha'ts just me.

Again, may not be the cab for you, but there are plenty of people who would take it off your hands.

13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I use Eden cabs, but I am old school, and so I run my horn control at 8 or 9 o'clock. My old Mesa Diesel cal had more of a tweeter that a real horn, and it always sounded hissy to me.

14. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Tweeters don't generate hiss. If there is any noise coming from the tweeter, it's being generated somewhere upstream in the signal chain (i.e. bass or amp). Don't blame the tweeter for doing what it's supposed to do -- i.e. reproduce the high frequencies that are being fed to it.

Asad

15. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    I've got a Neo 2x10 and I just dial the tweeter all the way down. We don't need no stinkin' highs!
    I love my cab, matter of fact I'd like to get another just like it (8ohm) to run together for the times when I need the extra dB.

16. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    This has been hashed over before. Turn your horn attenuator down to about 10%, but not less. Then eq your bass head. Turning the horn all the way off can cause your crossover to burn up. I love my 210 Avatar, but I think you just need to get the horn, your amp, and your bass adjusted correctly. I hate hiss too, but a little "tiny" bit of edge on your highs will be good.

17. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    +1

18. I have the new 2 x 10" from Avatar and I was dissapointed with it's ability to handle the B sting on my bass. I didn't need it to shake the room just hold it. I was forced to couple it with a 1 x 12" Neo from Avatar. Nice como but 2 cabs to carry now. Just my exp.

No issue wuth tweets on either cabs. I use a MB LMII which is very quiet.

Oh, I bought a 2 x 10 off ebay in Jan of 08. Local PU thankfully. It had the older delta's and a really ratty sound to it. Owner took it back.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you are comparing to the Peavey 2X10 TX or TVX, you are not going to be happy. Theose are the best sounding "cheap" cabs ever made, IMNSHO. Great low extension for it's cost/size.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I recall that Avatar changed its crossover a few years ago, so you may have an earlier version with the crossover/tweeter many players didn't like. I used an Avatar B210 in a rehearsal space for awhile. It had the earlier version, and I couldn't stand the tweeter. It didn't integrate well at all into the cab's overall sound, so I left it off. Also, if you haven't tried this already, stand the cab on its end. I found this vastly improved the tone of the B210 I used.

If the crossover is the issue, you might be able to get a new one from Avatar.