1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by buddyayres, Jan 16, 2010.

1. buddyayres

buddyayres

Jan 10, 2010
    can any one recommend a good distortion pedal for bass? im not looking at spending a lot of cheap would be better. but i don't want a cheap junk.

2. try the Coffin Case Blood Drive.
    it's meant for guitar but is pretty cheap and sounds good.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    EBS Multidrive ...

(many choices ;))

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you play metal, I would recommend any of these distortion pedals.

Digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal(a.k.a the digitech bass driver. this pedal has a fizzy metallic sound)

Tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal(this pedal a thunderous distorted sound)

MXR bass d.i+(this pedal has a clean and distorted sound. the distorted sound has a grinding distortion sound)

Boss md-2 mega distortion(due to it's massive lows, this pedal works real good on bass. this pedal can go from a heavy grind to a fizzy metallic sound)

5. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    Anyone try a DOD FX-52 Classic Fuzz?

I'm mainly a guitar player but I tried my CF with bass the other day and it really works. Unlike other fuzzes, its "tone" knob actually seems to pan between two separate fuzz circuits -- one that's fizzy with no low end and the other dark and bassy. I was able to dial in a perfect bass fuzz tone with no problem.

The Classic Fuzz was discontinued in the 90s (which means they have the earlier better construction with chassis mounted jacks) but they pop up all the time on eBay for under $50.

6. +1 I love the DOD Classic Fuzz, sounds ace!

7. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    What settings do you use?

I have the drive at about 6 and the tone at about 3. It's definitely a fuzz sound, not an overdrive sound. Almost synthy.

8. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I starting to think we seriously need some kind of distortion sticky thread for this forum :p

Infact, didn't there used to be one a while back?

9. I have the tone rolled all of the way down & the drive at about 11 O'clock. But I'm still tweaking it atm.

10. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
  11. +1000000

I have the Boss md-2 mega distortion and its killer :hyper:, it realy works great on those lows, just make sure your bass doesn't humm coz this thing will pick it up and make it worse.

12. Checker1o1

Checker1o1

Jul 30, 2008
    Hamilton, On
    If you're after a warm fat crunchy sound with anything from slight grind to full on terror. This is your new best friend. plus it's a nice tube pre amp. I totally recommend the Ebs valve drive. But if you are on a budget, look elsewhere.

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I'll bet the boss md-2 mega distortion sounds awesome on bass. I've heard sound samples of this pedal on bass on the boss pedal website.